Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

COVID-19 Science discussion

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Rate This

Re: COVID-19 Science discussion

Post by Rate This » Tue May 05, 2020 2:10 pm

UP906 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:51 pm
France says they had it as early as December.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/04/health/f ... index.html

So... Considering how contagious this particular bug is, I think that it's safe to say that it was circulating in North America long before any official acknowledgment.

Antibody testing is the key to getting a better understanding as to the scope of the outbreak as well as Case Fatality Rates that are closer to the truth.
I’m betting this began in November.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Tue May 05, 2020 2:27 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:10 pm
UP906 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:51 pm
France says they had it as early as December.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/04/health/f ... index.html

So... Considering how contagious this particular bug is, I think that it's safe to say that it was circulating in North America long before any official acknowledgment.

Antibody testing is the key to getting a better understanding as to the scope of the outbreak as well as Case Fatality Rates that are closer to the truth.
I’m betting this began in November.
I believe you are correct.

Thread Killer

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue May 05, 2020 3:32 pm

I keep pointing to the juul sicknesses from last year...

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed May 06, 2020 11:54 am

Many of them were using Chinese sourced products too.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed May 06, 2020 5:37 pm

Well, this is interesting....

"A 'shocking' two-thirds of patients recently hospitalized in NY had been staying home
"They're not working; they're not traveling," Cuomo said. "... They were predominantly at home.""

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sh ... s_20200506

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed May 06, 2020 5:51 pm

I assume they went out for food. Public transportation is the likely cause.

The 6' thing is mostly baloney.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 06, 2020 11:25 pm

Llamas to the rescue...
Winter was simply the lucky llama chosen by researchers in Belgium, where she lives, to participate in a series of virus studies involving both SARS and MERS. Finding that her antibodies staved off those infections, the scientists posited that those same antibodies could also neutralize the new virus that causes Covid-19. They were right, and published their results Tuesday in the journal Cell.

Scientists have long turned to llamas for antibody research. In the last decade, for example, scientists have used llamas’ antibodies in H.I.V. and influenza research, finding promising therapies for both viruses.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/06/scie ... e=Homepage

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Fri May 08, 2020 4:56 pm

The discussion about vitamin D deficiency concerning Covid-19 mortality seems to be moving from theory to at least some scientific basis behind it. Get outside and go for a walk!

https://news.northwestern.edu/stories/2 ... ity-rates/

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri May 08, 2020 11:14 pm

You beat me to posting it Howard Jones.

A while ago I said I wasn't feeling well and it finally cleared up when I got some sun...(and Vitamin D):

https://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... +d#p603538
Bryce wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:04 am
audiophile wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:49 am

I know I seemed to turn a corner when I went out and spent some time in the sun. Maybe we should taking vitamin D supplements. People with darker skin probably even bigger problems with low Vitamin D.
BINGO! Why do you think many viruses peter out in the summer months?

Do take a Vitamin D supplement and get as much exposure to the sun as possible.
Do eat foods high in Zinc activators – Quercetin & Epigallocatechin
Do eat foods high in zinc.
Do eat foods with natural pre and probiotics.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:50 pm

D, C and A are great.

Looks like all the work is paying off... We have kept the infection rate from growing longer than any other state.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:10 am

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/v ... s/2290790/

Maybe, just maybe, a large driving factor for higher COVID-19 morbidity rates isn't because of human racism but instead just simple science when it relates to a body's natural ability to manufacture vitamin D from the sun. But that's no fun to talk about because then there isn't a boogeyperson to blame.

There also seems to be more evidence that blood type plays a direct role in one's potential outcome.

Damn boring science taking away all the hot takes.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:53 pm

New daily cases per 100,000 people in the US. None of these states have had a change in testing, In fact most sort of refuse the science of COVID at all.

― Noam Chomsky

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:18 am

In regards to science, where are we at on treatments? Have we really learned much about treatments at all in the ~6 months we've had to deal with this virus?

Oxygen helps, and it seems once you get into any situation where you're having trouble breathing you get treated with oxygen, which helps keep the coronary system and other organs working while your lungs are at reduced capacity.

We've learned that respirators aren't the 'be-all-end-all' for treating severe cases, and they sometimes do more harm than good, but we're still using them to some degree.

We've learned that ECMO works in some cases, but isn't available to everyone or isn't available everywhere. Because of the risks involved, it probably only makes sense to use it in severe cases.

Seems like we've had a few flip on Remdesivir. Some studies indicate it works, some don't and some are inconclusive.

Similar to Remdesivier (but to a larger degree), lots of flips on Chloroquine, HCQ (with or without Zn). Some studies show pretty conclusively it works in some cases (Henry Ford Health) and some show it doesn't, although there are quite a few questions on the ones where it showed not to work (did they wait until patients were too severe, did they not partner with Zn, etc). Is the jury still out?

Convalescent plasma seems to be getting a lot of good press, and it appears to help at any stage, either early onset or even when someone gets severe. Not sure if we really have a mechanism for wide-spread use but it appears to have positive results in a number of cases.

Dexamethasone (and other corticosteroids) seems to help in severe cases, and might reduce the chance of death in those severe cases. Doesn't seem to help for mild conditions or to prevent someone from progressing from mild to severe.

Then there's the Vitamin D and Vitamin C discussions. Seems both help with symptoms or slowing the virus (maybe marginally), but neither is a solution and maybe just a treatment for low-level symptoms. Acetaminophen appears to be preferred over ibuprofen and even aspirin for treating mild symptoms, but none of these actually treat the virus, just the symptoms.

What am I missing? I know there are many other prospective treatments being explored, but is anything else out there with some promise?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:08 pm

An Australian physician has used a triple therapy of Ivermectin, Doxycycline, and Zinc to cure COVID 19 in 100 out of 100 patients in Bangladesh and 60 out of 60 patients in China and is doing research on treating it in the USA. He calls it a potential lifesaver. This is a very well renowned physician named Dr. Thomas Borody who was instrumental in developing triple therapy treatment to eradicate H. Pylori, the bacteria which causes Peptic Ulcer Disease.

Ivermectin (as well as Zinc and Doxycycline) is inexpensive, readily available, FDA approved, and regarded as a safe drug. I am a physician and have extensive service as a Medical Missionary Physician and have used Ivermectin to treat Onchocerciasis in Africa, Guyana, and Papua New Guinea. Ivermectin is the active ingredient which prevents and kills Heartworms in our dogs. Ivermectin is also used to treat Scabies in humans. Ivermectin stops viral replication in the cells. Dr. Borody claims its side effects are miniscule and that it is not only curative but is preventative in that a whole block in South America was given this medication combination and none of the people contracted Coronavirus, whereas the surrounding blocks had people who contracted Coronavirus. As in Onchocerciasis (a parasitic disease), the Coronavirus treatment involves only a single treatment.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...27b13d4356b0aa

Dr. Borody states that this is the "cheapest, safest, fastest CURE" for COVID 19.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:17 pm

Let's hope it goes through a formal trial and it produces positive results.

COVID deaths in Michigan have declined this summer. This is in part to better care strategies (less ventilator more high O2 saturation nassal treatment) but also there are at least 3 strains which get weaker and they are learning that the length of exposure is also a contributor.

As predicted, time has produced some positive new results.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic