Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Self Quarantine

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 4520

Self Quarantine

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:20 pm

Can one self quarantine themselves w/o penalty or consequence from your employer? I work in a retail establishment. I am terrified, and rightly so. As I said in another post, my employer won't allow us to take proper precautions to protect ourselves because they don't wanna scare the customers. Many states are shutting down restaurants and bars until at least the end of the month. I'm in full on panic mode and feel distressed. Working in retail I am in close contact with hundreds of people each day...that just increases the chances of contraction.

Rate This

Re: Self Quarantine

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:46 pm

TheForce wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:20 pm
Can one self quarantine themselves w/o penalty or consequence from your employer? I work in a retail establishment. I am terrified, and rightly so. As I said in another post, my employer won't allow us to take proper precautions to protect ourselves because they don't wanna scare the customers. Many states are shutting down restaurants and bars until at least the end of the month. I'm in full on panic mode and feel distressed. Working in retail I am in close contact with hundreds of people each day...that just increases the chances of contraction.
I’m in a similar position... driving a bus I’m in an smallish enclosed space with recirculating air... I’ve resigned to letting the chips fall where they may.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:46 pm

TheForce wrote:
Are you under a collective agreement?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:54 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:46 pm
TheForce wrote:
Are you under a collective agreement?
In this area if he isn’t at Kroger or Meijer than probably not. Retail tends to not be a union thing. I would be interested to know the answer to this as well.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:33 pm

The chain I work for has no union. It would be kinda nice if they did. Seems we are always jerked around. We don't really have any protections. Let's talk about changing your job status to benefit the company and not yourself. Let's talk about benefits taken away or reduced because of that job status change. Let's talk about being shifted around various departments in which you have no interest in. Let's talk about lousy 2% raises. Hell, new hires make nearly as much as I do hourly and I've been around 13 years. How is that even possible?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:43 pm

Are you not feeling well?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:34 pm

Anxiety is running high to the point I feel sick. I don't feel safe being at work right now. I couldn't tell you how many people come to the checkout coughing and sneezing right before they hand you their money.
audiophile wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:43 pm

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:41 pm

TheForce wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:33 pm
The chain I work for has no union. It would be kinda nice if they did. Seems we are always jerked around. We don't really have any protections. Let's talk about changing your job status to benefit the company and not yourself. Let's talk about benefits taken away or reduced because of that job status change. Let's talk about being shifted around various departments in which you have no interest in. Let's talk about lousy 2% raises. Hell, new hires make nearly as much as I do hourly and I've been around 13 years. How is that even possible?
Have you thought about changing jobs to one of the Union chains? They would probably start you off decently pay wise with your experience.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:20 am

TheForce wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:34 pm
Anxiety is running high to the point I feel sick. I don't feel safe being at work right now. I couldn't tell you how many people come to the checkout coughing and sneezing right before they hand you their money.
audiophile wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:43 pm
I would where wear gloves and change them often. If you get fired, so be it and collect unemployment.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:01 am

Rate This wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:46 pm
TheForce wrote:
I’m in a similar position... driving a bus I’m in an smallish enclosed space with recirculating air... I’ve resigned to letting the chips fall where they may.
I have yet to see a driver who looks happy in these photos. Fortunately, bus riders don't fit the early COVID19 infected profile. This is a virus of the highly mobile upper middle class. I would be more nervous in a Whole Foods than a bus.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:52 pm

I think you may be right for once about Sociological Class being a factor in risk for Coronavirus. That may be one reason for the hysterical response.

Two of the biggest risks seem to be international travel, now almost exclusively flying in airplanes, and ocean cruises. These are two of the biggest factors, because of being exposed to people from Asia and Europe, and being cooped up with people who may have been exposed. I would think that train travel and any type of public transportation are also risky. Also remember Uber and Lyft.

Look at the counties which have been affected. People with less money to spend on travel are less likely to be infected.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:59 pm

I have been on airplanes and cruises, but I only quietly tolerated it.

Nothing living in a tin can.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:07 pm

When I was a kid, adults used to talk about their kids getting "German Measles" and "The Asian Flu". I guess things haven't changes much.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:14 pm

I had German Measles. I lived.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:29 pm

I was talking with my son last night. He works in health care. I said most people wont die, they'll get over it.

He told me you don't get over it. It does permanent damage to the lungs.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic