Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Coronavirus Insanity

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Coronavirus Insanity

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:52 pm

Coronavirus. It's a serious matter and I treat it seriously. We try to limit our exposure to other people in public places. We've stopped going out to restaurants. When we shop we go into the store and grab what we need and get right back out. Lots of hand washing

But some people, it seems, believe it's the end of the world. They're stockpiling and hoarding like crazy. Saw a guy in the supermarket today with his cart piled high with cases of bottled water. Does he believe the water supply will be contaminated?

I've heard that basics like toilet paper and batteries are now in short supply.

The last time I remember anything like this was at Y2K.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Re: Coronavirus Insanity

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:56 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:52 pm
Coronavirus. It's a serious matter and I treat it seriously. We try to limit our exposure to other people in public places. We've stopped going out to restaurants. When we shop we go into the store and grab what we need and get right back out. Lots of hand washing

But some people, it seems, believe it's the end of the world. They're stockpiling and hoarding like crazy. Saw a guy in the supermarket today with his cart piled high with cases of bottled water. Does he believe the water supply will be contaminated?

I've heard that basics like toilet paper and batteries are now in short supply.

The last time I remember anything like this was at Y2K.
I was reading something talking about how hoarding things is a primal part of our psychology... some things we cannot be without and we rush to get them... we wouldn’t know what to do without TP for example... smelling like crap for lack of it could get you shunned and in a situation like this shunning is the last thing anybody wants. Keep in mind this is all happening subconsciously...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:00 pm

But what makes them believe things like that will be unavailable?

The only thing threatening the supply is hoarders.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:54 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:00 pm
But what makes them believe things like that will be unavailable?

The only thing threatening the supply is hoarders.
Just general basic needs and an ingrained idea that you CANNOT be without these items EVER EVER EVER... so being afraid of everything shutting down is making the lizard brain say NEEDS!!! I HAVE NEEDS!!!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:57 pm

That reminds me. I'd better pick up a couple of bottles of whisky, in case I get quarantined and can't get out.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:16 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:57 pm
That reminds me. I'd better pick up a couple of bottles of whisky, in case I get quarantined and can't get out.
Now you’re thinking like a true lizard... bout time you got your priorities in order...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:49 pm

If I run out of bread, shaving cream or pencils, my wife will go out and get me some more. But she would never go to get whisky for me.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:12 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:49 pm
If I run out of bread, shaving cream or pencils, my wife will go out and get me some more. But she would never go to get whisky for me.
That’s why you take charge of your drinking habits... sterilize while enjoying a glass.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:21 am

I believe it has something to do with trying to take control of something. The whole virus thing is out of our control so panic buying puts us in control of that aspect of the situation. I did my weekly shopping yesterday and a man in line two check outs down had 31 gallons of milk...I did pick up a few extra things but no hoarding.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:49 am

Before we get too judgy about our fellow man:

I recently purchased

16 gallons of bleach
96 rolls of TP
4 cases of milk
12 cases of soup
4 face shields
6 boxes of neoprene gloves

While I enjoyed the looks from fellow shoppers and the cashier, once I asked for my nonprofit tax-exempt be applied, everyone's face changed.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:09 am

Walmart is making out like a bandit.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

kager

Post by kager » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:36 pm

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:16 pm

After our quarantine ended we went out and shopped for groceries. Sign at the egg dept said "Due to the shortage of eggs, there is a limit of one package per customer."

There was zero cartons of eggs on the shelf.

Why is there a shortage of eggs? Have the hens stopped laying?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:09 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:16 pm
After our quarantine ended we went out and shopped for groceries. Sign at the egg dept said "Due to the shortage of eggs, there is a limit of one package per customer."

Farmers are having a lot of trouble getting product to market. Just saw a story where a FL farmer was trying to dump 80,000 lbs of potatoes because they were going to go bad. I think they got those to some shelters somewhere, but that kind of stuff doesn't help fill store shelves. at least some of them got used though.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:27 pm

km1125 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:09 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:16 pm

Farmers are having a lot of trouble getting product to market. Just saw a story where a FL farmer was trying to dump 80,000 lbs of potatoes because they were going to go bad. I think they got those to some shelters somewhere, but that kind of stuff doesn't help fill store shelves. at least some of them got used though.
Is it a supply chain issue or a transportation issue? All of those businesses would be essential so there should be no disruption...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic