Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Does Anyone Remember This?

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Does Anyone Remember This?

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:03 am

A short story I read many many years ago. It might have been in high school literature. I don't recall the title or who wrote it.

It was about a man who led such a Godly and virtuous life, that God decided to reward him by giving him a halo early, while he was still living on earth. The poor man felt so undeserving and unworthy, he felt ashamed to have it. He wanted God to take it back. So he set out to live a life of sin, so God could see that he didn't deserve a halo.

But God saw through this and it made him even more worthy, With every one of his transgressions, the halo just shined even brighter.

The story ended with the man standing on a street corner late at night, counting out a fistfull of bills, by the light of his halo. It was his nightly take from the string of hookers he was running.

Does anyone know?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

audiophile

Re: Does Anyone Remember This?

Post by audiophile » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:44 am

No, LOL. Must have been required reading from Pierre Trudeau.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:50 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:03 am
A short story I read many many years ago. It might have been in high school literature. I don't recall the title or who wrote it.

It was about a man who led such a Godly and virtuous life, that God decided to reward him by giving him a halo early, while he was still living on earth. The poor man felt so undeserving and unworthy, he felt ashamed to have it. He wanted God to take it back. So he set out to live a life of sin, so God could see that he didn't deserve a halo.

But God saw through this and it made him even more worthy, With every one of his transgressions, the halo just shined even brighter.

The story ended with the man standing on a street corner late at night, counting out a fistfull of bills, by the light of his halo. It was his nightly take from the string of hookers he was running.

Does anyone know?
Must have been a working class thing...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:50 pm

It was just a humourous short story about a misunderstanding between a man and his God. Might have been O Henry.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic