Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 25 at 5:30p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Unconnected

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 15265

Re: Unconnected

Post by Deleted User 15265 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:16 am

Thanks for the great articles audiophile interesting read. I'm interested in how you were involved in the set up of FM radio please share if you wish.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:01 am

I don't think there's anything oddball about not having a cell phone. We have a lot of perks in our lives that we take for granted, especially when it comes to modern technology. We come to see these gadgets as necessities because they're prevalent and we've gotten used to them. We think Amish people are odd because they drive horse & buggy and live without electricity. It may be abnormal in the sense that their way of life is not the norm for most people in 2020, but there's nothing wrong with living a simpler life that proves satisfactory. Somehow Amish people manage to get by and find fulfillment in their way of life. It doesn't make them "weird" just because the majority of us live with modern conveniences they choose to bypass. I don't mock them. To the contrary, I admire their independence. Most of us wouldn't have the first clue how to survive in their world.

Not saying technology isn't good. It certainly has its advantages, but every innovation fosters a dependence. When you grow up with indoor plumbing, it's easy to take running faucets and flushing toilets for granted. We see such innovations as necessities because we're conditioned to it. We laugh at people who willingly choose to live without such conveniences, yet they probably laugh at us for our mere dependence on same.
Last edited by Calvert DeForest on Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Deleted User 15265

Post by Deleted User 15265 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:15 am

I think Turkeytop is just messing with us he has satellite radio and a computer to be on this message board and doesn't own a cellphone really I don't believe for a minute that he doesn't own a cellphone.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:31 am

Classichits939 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:15 am
I think Turkeytop is just messing with us he has satellite radio and a computer to be on this message board and doesn't own a cellphone really I don't believe for a minute that he doesn't own a cellphone.
Perhaps he has no need for one. I have a cell phone and a computer, but I don't have a satellite radio. We all have different gadgets according to different wants and needs. I know a few people who have "dumb phones". They use their cell phones just for calls and have no interest in the features of a smartphone. To each his or her own.

Deleted User 15265

Post by Deleted User 15265 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:07 am

If Turkeytop doesn't own a cellphone and his vehicle breaks down in the Canadian wilderness good luck finding a payphone and I doubt if a moose could help him but look at the brite side he has Howard Stern on Satellite Radio so there's always a silver lining.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:58 am

Classichits939 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:07 am
If Turkeytop doesn't own a cellphone and his vehicle breaks down in the Canadian wilderness good luck finding a payphone and I doubt if a moose could help him but look at the brite side he has Howard Stern on Satellite Radio so there's always a silver lining.
There's no guarantee that he could even get a signal depending on how remote the location is. Believe it or not there are some places that don't have cell towers nearby. When we vacationed on Beaver Island several years ago we had to drive five miles from our lodge to hit the island's only tower (fortunately for us it was a Verizon tower). Otherwise we just went without. It was a pain at first, but we got used to it.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:25 pm

We were in a McD one day. A guy in the order line was talking on his phone to his buddy who was sitting at a table less than 20 ft away. They were both talking loud enough, they could have carried on the conversation without their phones.

Seemed pointless to me, but who am I to judge? What seems stupid and pointless to us in the working class, might be profoundly meaningful to you middle class types.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:44 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:25 pm
We were in a McD one day. A guy in the order line was talking on his phone to his buddy who was sitting at a table less than 20 ft away. They were both talking loud enough, they could have carried on the conversation without their phones.

Seemed pointless to me, but who am I to judge? What seems stupid and pointless to us in the working class, might be profoundly meaningful to you middle class types.
What does class have to do with it?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:26 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:44 pm
I really don't know. It just seems that you people have different values and different priorities than us working class folks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:31 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:26 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:44 pm
I really don't know. It just seems that you people have different values and different priorities than us working class types.
I think you’ve jumped the shark with the class thing... there must not be very many working class types... if you are a prime specimen I can’t say I’ve ever met one... but I know full well your definition is extremely distorted and based on some sort of arbitrary value system rather than everybody else’s definition of class based on income... plenty of working class types enjoy such modern conveniences...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:25 pm

If by "enjoying modern conveniences" you mean, being rude and obnoxious, annoying everyone while using a cell phone in public places, that's one form of enjoyment I'll take a pass on.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:56 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:25 pm
If by "enjoying modern conveniences" you mean, being rude and obnoxious, annoying everyone while using a cell phone in public places, that's one form of enjoyment I'll take a pass on.
Most people who use one are not rude and obnoxious with it. I've even noticed the number of people shouting into the phone has gone down in recent years.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:48 pm

We live in an age of technology. None of us make use of all the technology available to us. We all make choices. I like radio. Your middle class, Starbucks crowd probably don't even own radios.

I like driving a modern, up to date vehicle. I sometimes use GPS, but only for inconsequential things like finding a restaurant. I would never rely on it to get me somewhere important, on time.

I use a digital camera. Not one that's part of a telephone, but a real camera. There are purists around who still use film camera. I don't call them stubborn, cheap or old. I admire their tenacity. I have a neighbour who is a serious photographer. He says my camera isn't real. "A toy," he calls it

I like optical devices. I have several sets of good binoculars.

I was an early adopter of CD music. As soon as it became available, I had it. Now they tell me CDs are obsolete. Our two sons, who both own cell phones, are into vinyl records.

I have satellite radio. Where I live, I wouldn't want to be without it. If I lived in a major market, like Toronto, Montreal or Tampa Bay, I wouldn't need it. When I'm down here, I rarely use it. Where I really need it is on the way here and on the way home. In areas like GA, TN or KY, all that's available over the air is cowboy music, NASCAR, and religion.

I like air conditioning and I really like my coffeemaker.

There are still some technologies I probably will never use. Internet radio. It's no more like real radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining. Cell phone, of course. Microwave oven. Car alarm. Electric bike.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:20 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:48 pm
We live in an age of technology. None of us make use of all the technology available to us. We all make choices. I like radio. Your middle class, Starbucks crowd probably don't even own radios.

I like driving a modern, up to date vehicle. I sometimes use GPS, but only for inconsequential things like finding a restaurant. I would never rely on it to get me somewhere important, on time.

I use a digital camera. Not one that's part of a telephone, but a real camera. There are purists around who still use film camera. I don't call them stubborn, cheap or old. I admire their tenacity. I have a neighbour who is a serious photographer. He says my camera isn't real. "A toy," he calls it

I like optical devices. I have several sets of good binoculars.

I was an early adopter of CD music. As soon as it became available, I had it. Now they tell me CDs are obsolete. Our two sons, who both own cell phones, are into vinyl records.

I have satellite radio. Where I live, I wouldn't want to be without it. If I lived in a major market, like Toronto, Montreal or Tampa Bay, I wouldn't need it. When I'm down here, I rarely use it. Where I really need it is on the way here and on the way home. In areas like GA, TN or KY, all that's available over the air is cowboy music, NASCAR, and religion.

I like air conditioning and I really like my coffeemaker.

There are still some technologies I probably will never use. Internet radio. It's no more like real radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining. Cell phone, of course. Microwave oven. Car alarm. Electric bike.
You don’t use a microwave? Please expound on why...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:30 pm

You don’t use a microwave? Please expound on why...
Why would I? I've got along without it all these years. Don't need it.

They cant be good for you. I'm not suggesting they're harmful. But there can be no benefit from them.
Last edited by Turkeytop on Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic