Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Car buying aggravation

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 24

Car buying aggravation

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:00 am

Who knew buying a used car would be such a hassle?

Went to dealer A to test drive something I thought I would like. Close, but no cigar. Told salesperson what I wanted and asked her to let me know when she found it. Heard from her 2 hours later; just what I wanted had come in the night before and hadn't been entered into the inventory system yet. I came by a couple days later, drove it and put down a deposit. That was on January 15. 10 days later and they still didn't have the title. I called then yesterday and told them to cancel the deal.

Meanwhile, I went to dealer B; they had a similar vehicle that looked like it might work. It didn't.

Dealer A now has cut the price by $500 if I will buy the car, but they don't know when they will get the title. BTW, the car was originally leased from this dealer and all the scheduled maintenance for the car was done there.

There's also dealer C. They have a car very close to what dealer A has, with a few thousand fewer miles on it and without a couple options I won't miss. I will visit them tomorrow after work. I wish they weren't 35 or so miles away, but used vehicles of this type, optioned as I want are proving hard to find.

Rate This

Re: Car buying aggravation

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:40 am

Vic Doucette wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:00 am
Who knew buying a used car would be such a hassle?

Went to dealer A to test drive something I thought I would like. Close, but no cigar. Told salesperson what I wanted and asked her to let me know when she found it. Heard from her 2 hours later; just what I wanted had come in the night before and hadn't been entered into the inventory system yet. I came by a couple days later, drove it and put down a deposit. That was on January 15. 10 days later and they still didn't have the title. I called then yesterday and told them to cancel the deal.

Meanwhile, I went to dealer B; they had a similar vehicle that looked like it might work. It didn't.

Dealer A now has cut the price by $500 if I will buy the car, but they don't know when they will get the title. BTW, the car was originally leased from this dealer and all the scheduled maintenance for the car was done there.

There's also dealer C. They have a car very close to what dealer A has, with a few thousand fewer miles on it and without a couple options I won't miss. I will visit them tomorrow after work. I wish they weren't 35 or so miles away, but used vehicles of this type, optioned as I want are proving hard to find.
Before you do anything Vic... “do you have the title?”...

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:51 am

The car has been listed for sale since 10/1/19. I don't think there will be title issues ... but I will ask.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:54 am

Vic Doucette wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:51 am
The car has been listed for sale since 10/1/19. I don't think there will be title issues ... but I will ask.
Ok that’s a better sign... I only mention that because that way you can just find that out up front and cut and run if there are. It’s interesting that you mention that happened twice already so maybe it’s more common than we think..

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:01 am

Rate This wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:54 am
Vic Doucette wrote:
Ok that’s a better sign... I only mention that because that way you can just find that out up front and cut and run if there are. It’s interesting that you mention that happened twice already so maybe it’s more common than we think..
No, just once. I didn't like the one I drove yesterday; the interior looked like it would get dirty just by looking at it. And the salesperson at dealer A said she has learned an important lesson: never offer a car for sale without title in hand.

BTW, I am looking at 2017 RAV4 hybrids. When I finally get one, it will be the seventh Toyota we have owned and the fifth hybrid. We have a combined 450,000 miles or so seat time in such cars and they are the most reliable vehicles we have owned.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:02 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:01 am
Rate This wrote:
Vic Doucette wrote:
No, just once. I didn't like the one I drove yesterday; the interior looked like it would get dirty just by looking at it. And the salesperson at dealer A said she has learned an important lesson: never offer a car for sale without title in hand.

BTW, I am looking at 2017 RAV4 hybrids. When I finally get one, it will be the seventh Toyota we have owned and the fifth hybrid. We have a combined 450,000 miles or so seat time in such cars and they are the most reliable vehicles we have owned.
So why specifically that year?

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:33 pm

Still has CD player. I have perhaps 1,500 or more discs.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:35 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:33 pm
Still has CD player. I have perhaps 1,500 or more discs.
Interesting... it must be one of the last RAV4’s to have a CD player.. I imagine by now everything Toyota makes doesn’t have one...

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:39 pm

I also want a vehicle no older than and with not many more miles than my 2017 Subaru Outback, which has proven to be the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned. Additionally, I want a vehicle at least as well equipped as the Subaru.

My wife bought a new 2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid at the end of September. That car still had a CD player. The 2020, a redesign, doesn't.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:39 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:01 am
Rate This wrote:
Vic Doucette wrote:

7 vehicles for 450,000 miles? I have one midsize car that has been driven farther than that. Original, never rebuilt, still runs and gets 50 MPG.

What happened with Suby?

Check with Crutchfield, maybe CD can be installed.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:20 pm

6 for 450K, but the most recent one just has a couple thousand miles on it so it's more like 5. Seventh to be purchased soon. One was totaled, one was sold to a friend when I bought the Subie in 2017 (he still drives it) and the last one replaced Mrs. Me's 2007 Highlander Hybrid. It still worked fine but she wanted a bigger, more comfortable car with current safety features for upcoming post-retirement road trips.

There have been no end of problems with the Outback. The check engine light has come on six or eight times. Each time the service advisor says it's a different problem and swears it's fixed. A few hundred miles later, it happens again. New cause, new cure, rinse, repeat. This also puts the EyeSight safety features out of commission.

Then, there's the electronics system. About every third time you start the car, the clock reads 5 hours later than it actually is (4 hours during DST); the navigation system stops working and flashes a message to take it to the dealer for service; and the car refuses to recognize the thumb drives plugged into the USB ports. This usually self-corrects after a couple of minutes. The dealer says that they can't re-create the problem.

A lifelong pal has managed Mickey Schorr stores for more than 30 years. He said there is no good, workable way to put a CD player in either a RAV4 or a Highlander if it has a navigation system. He did suggest a portable player plugged into a USB port, but I want a factory system without wires strung around the passenger compartment.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:16 pm

Bought car tonight from dealer C.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:50 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:16 pm
Bought car tonight from dealer C.
How many miles on it?

Deleted User 24