Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Nap Time At Pre-School

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Bryce

Nap Time At Pre-School

Post by Bryce » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:34 pm

Just brought these three back from Kentucky, where they were rescued from a VERY bad place.

The two yellows are lab/staffy mixes that I put at about 4 to 5 months old and the black one (sporting her first ever collar) is a mastiff about 12 weeks old. After a long drive, meeting The Bear and Gretta and having some playtime, then getting their shots, they collapsed into a peaceful slumber.

Going to be looking for homes for all three about the middle of May. I will only place the Mastiff with an experienced dog owner. The other two would be great for any family or owner.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Re: Nap Time At Pre-School

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:39 pm

All in a heap.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:57 pm

A bunch of long faces in our hose today. The female mastiff that had been with us for the past 13 days was picked up by her new family this afternoon. That little girl wound her way into all of our hearts in that short stay, but she has went to a great family that know mastiff dogs, and I am happy for her and them.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:57 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:57 pm
A bunch of long faces in our hose today. The female mastiff that had been with us for the past 13 days was picked up by her new family this afternoon. That little girl wound her way into all of our hearts in that short stay, but she has went to a great family that know mastiff dogs, and I am happy for her and them.
That was fast... those Mastiffs are an experienced owner only deal right?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:06 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:57 pm
Bryce wrote:
Yup, and a well vetted one at that.

Puppies typically go pretty quickly. Where we normally have to work harder is with the more senior rescue dogs.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:11 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:06 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:57 pm
Bryce wrote:
Yup, and a well vetted one at that.

Puppies typically go pretty quickly. Where we normally have to work harder is with the more senior rescue dogs.
I’m a cat 🐈 guy... but I have always liked big dogs... they can be kind of majestic... the senior dogs must be harder to break of old habits and require different care overall?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:27 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:11 pm

I’m a cat 🐈 guy... but I have always liked big dogs... they can be kind of majestic... the senior dogs must be harder to break of old habits and require different care overall?
Dogs, like people, all have unique personalities and challenges. For example, the rottweiler that I took in after it was rescued from a dog fighting ring, in which she was used as a bait dog, required a complete different approach than the doberman I took in because its owner passed away. You have to be part dog psychologist and part trainer to get them to a healthy place in which they can be adopted.

I have been asked to take in a dog that was recently taken from a shelter out of state. This dog is now two years old and was born and raised in a shelter. It's never been in a home, it's never been in a yard, it's never been around children and its only experience with other dogs is the constant howling and barking that takes place inside a shelter.

I'm really torn here. Part of me really wants to do it because this dog deserves a chance at a good life and I know I have what it takes to do it. Conversely, I know it is going to be a long, long process to heal and prepare this dog for a normal living experience, and it wouldn't be fair to my other two who are used to a whole lot of attention from "daddy" and a pretty intense training regimen which they love.

Still thinking on it. It's consuming me.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:39 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:27 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:11 pm

Dogs, like people, all have unique personalities and challenges. For example, the rottweiler that I took in after it was rescued from a dog fighting ring, in which she was used as a bait dog, required a complete different approach than the doberman I took in because its owner passed away. You have to be part dog psychologist and part trainer to get them to a healthy place in which they can be adopted.

I have been asked to take in a dog that was recently taken from a shelter out of state. This dog is now two years old and was born and raised in a shelter. It's never been in a home, it's never been in a yard, it's never been around children and its only experience with other dogs is the constant howling and barking that takes place inside a shelter.

I'm really torn here. Part of me really wants to do it because this dog deserves a chance at a good life and I know I have what it takes to do it. Conversely, I know it is going to be a long, long process to heal and prepare this dog for a normal living experience, and it wouldn't be fair to my other two who are used to a whole lot of attention from "daddy" and a pretty intense training regimen which they love.

Still thinking on it. It's consuming me.
I would say there’s nobody I know more qualified to take on such a project but I can appreciate the dilemma you have..

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:40 pm

I read somewhere that the Border Collie is the most intelligent breed. Where does a Boxer fit on the scale of intelligence? Any I've met always seemed kind of dumb.

Dumb is OK. Dumb and goofy are even better.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:29 pm

Are you comparing it to a turkey?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:55 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:40 pm
I read somewhere that the Border Collie is the most intelligent breed. Where does a Boxer fit on the scale of intelligence? Any I've met always seemed kind of dumb.

Dumb is OK. Dumb and goofy are even better.
While Boxers can indeed be described as goofy, and do retain much of their puppy attitude and playfulness into old age, a well bred Boxer is far from unintelligent. The problem with the "dumb" boxer arises from American breeding practices and what criteria is used for intelligence. I fault the AKC "fashion shows" for some of this because they judge more on appearance than courage, drive and heart. Puppy mills and back yard breeders add to the problem. The same situation has crept into the American bred German Shepherd Dog and the Dobermann. Most of the people that are serious about Shutzhund, protection and guard work have been forced to import their dogs from Germany and Czechoslovakia as the standards there, even to the point of which dogs are allowed to breed are MUCH stricter and true to the original intent of the breed.

To get an idea, the following video is a Schutzhund protection trial. In addition to protection, there are also obedience and tracking trials that a dog must pass even to get a novice ranking. Before a GSD is allowed to be bred in Germany, they must attain at least a level one in Schutzhund. This ensures a well rounded dog and not just a pretty boy.

My Boxer, that crossed the Bridge in 2018 attained a level one. He was bred from German stock.

Border Collies are most likely the all around "smartest" dog breed. Much of this has to do with what they were originally bred to do. Because they were often left on their own to protect livestock out in the fields, they were required to be able to think on their own without constant human supervision.

Unfortunately, they are not an ideal pet for most people because of their exercise needs. They need a lot of space to run and play to be truly happy. If someone lives on less than an acre of land, I don't suggest one as a pet. If you are a farmer, rancher or outdoors-man that lives on a lot of land, they are the perfect dog for you.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri May 01, 2020 1:40 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:39 pm

I would say there’s nobody I know more qualified to take on such a project but I can appreciate the dilemma you have..
That was really nice of you to say. Thanks.

The dilemma was solved for me. Something that takes precedence has come up. Tomorrow, I will be taking in a four year old Dobermann Pinscher. Her daddy, a veteran of the Iraq War, has been hospitalized and most likely will not be coming home again. I will be keeping her for him and taking her to visit him as soon as, and as often as, that is allowed.

I was told he was most overjoyed when he was informed who was taking his baby. I still feel bad for the other dog, but this situation is a no brainer.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 01, 2020 3:24 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:40 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:39 pm

That was really nice of you to say. Thanks.

The dilemma was solved for me. Something that takes precedence has come up. Tomorrow, I will be taking in a four year old Dobermann Pinscher. Her daddy, a veteran of the Iraq War, has been hospitalized and most likely will not be coming home again. I will be keeping her for him and taking her to visit him as soon as, and as often as, that is allowed.

I was told he was most overjoyed when he was informed who was taking his baby. I still feel bad for the other dog, but this situation is a no brainer.
You’re welcome. We may disagree (vehemently at times) politically but do know that the work you do with the dogs is admirable and appreciated. :)

How do you find the temperament of dobermans generally? The only one I know is a complete pussycat... skiddish and oh so very Velcro-like.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri May 01, 2020 5:09 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:24 pm
How do you find the temperament of dobermans generally? The only one I know is a complete pussycat... skiddish and oh so very Velcro-like.
Again, with Dobermann's, as with any working line dog, it boils down to breeding and training. Most of the dogs purchased from pet stores and back-yard breeders tend to be pussycats, needy and skittish. A dog bred from working lines tend to be very confident, stoic even, and courageous if encouraged to be so from a pup on.

If someone is just looking for a dog as a pet and has no desire or ability to train with a dog, I don't suggest a Dobermann. A good Dobermann (from certified working lines) will test you constantly to make sure you are worthy to follow. If you aren't, they will expect you to follow them.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 01, 2020 5:23 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:09 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:24 pm
Again, with Dobermann's, as with any working line dog, it boils down to breeding and training. Most of the dogs purchased from pet stores and back-yard breeders tend to be pussycats, needy and skittish. A dog bred from working lines tend to be very confident, stoic even, and courageous if encouraged to be so from a pup on.

If someone is just looking for a dog as a pet and has no desire or ability to train with a dog, I don't suggest a Dobermann. A good Dobermann (from certified working lines) will test you constantly to make sure you are worthy to follow. If you aren't, they will expect you to follow them.
Very interesting. My friend has done rather well training him and getting him excited to see me when I come over, it’s made the experience far better for both me and the dog.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic