Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Outa Here

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Re: Outa Here

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:32 pm

I didn't take it out on anyone. I just decided I wouldn't wait any longer. Wouldn't hold up the people behind me any longer.

She showed infinite patience for the middle class woman with 35 items in the ten item line and no money to pay for it, but she wouldn't accept the real cash I was offering.

It's anti-working class prejudice.
Last edited by Turkeytop on Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:51 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:32 pm
I didn't take it out on anyone. I just decided I wouldn't wait any longer. Wouldn't hold up the people behind me any longer.

She showed infinite patience for the middle class woman with no money, but she wouldn't accept the real cash I was offering.

It's anti-working class prejudice.
You have to be kidding... It’s having to verify the price as part of her job so the correct amount is charged. You could have just as easily walked up with $2.50. Using your logic she should just believe you because you have real cash. That loses the store $1.39. That is why she has to verify it. Trust me she was annoyed with the other lady ahead of you but putting on a polite front. That may even be why she didn’t bother to go check the price right away.

As for the anti-working class stuff... please... there aren’t many jobs more working class than $12,000 a year as a cashier. If she needs to do that job than she is very working class. How would she even be able to tell you were working class exactly?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:55 pm

Working class has nothing to do with one's income.

She probably self identifies as middle class.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:12 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:55 pm

It has everything to do with ones income and not much to do with behavior. That fact is rooted in the idea that people are free to choose what they want to do. Someone who is working class can and will go to Starbucks or wear something with a logo on it in this country and be proud to be working class all the same.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:32 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:12 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

I

It has everything to do with ones income and not much to do with behavior. That fact is rooted in the idea that people are free to choose what they want to do. Someone who is working class can and will go to Starbucks or wear something with a logo on it in this country and be proud to be working class all the same.

I take more pride in not being financially embarrassed when I can't pay for two shopping carts of nonessential middle class goods

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:22 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:32 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:12 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

Did she look shady?
I

I take more pride in not being financially embarrassed when I can't pay for two shopping carts of nonessential middle class goods

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:55 am

I'm with Turkeytop on this one as the store is at fault here. It's all about customer service. The cashier should have called/paged bakery to come up rather than send the customer back. The cashier should not leave her register since she is responsible for it.

As a customer, I would not want to walk back to the bakery and then get back in line again. Hopefully the store manager will speak to the cashier about the proper way to handle customers.

The store manager did the right thing by bringing out the loaf of bread and not charging for it. I have worked at a grocery store as a cashier and as a manager and have experienced this.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:08 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:26 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:21 pm
I'm not a liar and I resent any implication that I am lying.

There seems to be a notion that working class shoppers can't be trusted.

I don't believe they want us shopping in their store.

You working class folks are getting too uppity. Just stay at Aldi, where you belong.
It isn’t an implication that you were lying but she HAS to verify the price or have some way to verify it if she can’t scan it. She isn’t allowed to just take someone’s word for it, her work rules don’t allow for it anymore than work rules at a factory allow for open toed shoes and loose articles of clothing... in other words why would you take frustration out on someone who is far more working class than you?
This is bullshit. If the item was never scanned because it was in a clear bag with no barcode, there was no way to track said item. Your argument fails.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:01 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:08 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:26 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:21 pm
I'm not a liar and I resent any implication that I am lying.

There seems to be a notion that working class shoppers can't be trusted.

I don't believe they want us shopping in their store.

You working class folks are getting too uppity. Just stay at Aldi, where you belong.
It isn’t an implication that you were lying but she HAS to verify the price or have some way to verify it if she can’t scan it. She isn’t allowed to just take someone’s word for it, her work rules don’t allow for it anymore than work rules at a factory allow for open toed shoes and loose articles of clothing... in other words why would you take frustration out on someone who is far more working class than you?
This is bullshit. If the item was never scanned because it was in a clear bag with no barcode, there was no way to track said item. Your argument fails.
It would have had one of those round stickers with the price that you see in bakery sections when the bread is store made and therefore has no barcode and must be manually entered. Either someone forgot to put it on or it fell off. Going to the same section and looking at the shelf should reveal either other bread with the same sticker or a shelf tag or sign of some kind with the price on it.

The tracking thing is bullshit. Manual entries are often questioned by management and if you can’t explain what it is and that you entered the amount correctly that could lead to problems for you.

I worked at Kroger as a cashier for around 3 years when I was younger... I’m just telling you how it was. I imagine Publix isn’t much different. This is pretty much industry standard procedure.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:28 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:35 pm
Went into Publix today to get a loaf of their store baked bread. $3.79. I counted out the exact amount before I got to the checkout so I could get through quicker.

Went to the express line for ten items or less. The middle class woman ahead of me was gaming the system. She had two shopping carts with about 18 items in each of them. When she finally had them all checked through she tried to pay with her debit card but there wasn't enough money there.

Her groceries were already bagged and in the cart. So she parked it, got out her phone and called somebody to bring her some money.

Finally, my turn. The cashier said "There's no tag on this bread. I told her "It's $3.79." I held out the money to her.

You'll have to take it back to the bakery and get them to put a tag on it." she told me.

I threw down the loaf of bread and walked out. Out in the parking lot I heard a voice behind me "Sir? Sir?"

I turned around and it was the manager. He apologized and gave me the loaf of bread for nothing.
Good manager! I would write a letter and thank him, it's hard to get good help these days!

I recently had it out with the unhelpful manager at Chase bank (Mind you I almost never get in fights, except on here LOL) but I had enough of her snobbishness. I went to do a wire transfer to a certain federal agency (aka federal cookie company). She asked for my ID, I gave her my drivers license. She said it's expired. I explained I timely renewed it online, and had proof of renewal but I was awaiting new one to arrive in mail. I opened my laptop and showed her my renewal confirmation.

She said she couldn't help me and suggested that I do wire transfer online. I explained that this wire transfer exceed their online transfer amount, as I had tried that and that is why I came to bank, in person. She said she couldn't help me and wasn't going to argue with me. I said this is insane, I have proof of who I say I am, have proof of renewal and banking has nothing to do with driving a few days beyond expiration!

As I walked away I said I was writing a very big check to another bank that could help me. She said I couldn't do that either. I said oh ya, watch me - I can write a check to any bank I want!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:37 pm

I've shopped at Kroger before and always been treated with respect. The know their business depends on the good working class people of MI.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:40 pm

Kroger is good to non-profits too. You can register for whatever non-profit you want it to go to.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:53 pm

We decided to take off a month early. Leaving next Wednesday. We feel perfectly safe where we are and hate to leave the warm weather.

But things are changing so quickly there's no telling when the county of the state might go into lock down. Then we'd be stranded here.

This time next week we'll be back home.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:56 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:53 pm
We decided to take off a month early. Leaving next Wednesday. We feel perfectly safe where we are and hate to leave the warm weather.

But things are changing so quickly there's no telling when the county of the state might go into lock down. Then we'd be stranded here.

This time next week we'll be back home.
How is Canada faring in this?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:09 pm

From what I've heard, everyone is panicking.

When we get home, we'll be required to self quarantine for two weeks. Not sure how well manage that. We'll be arriving home to an empty fridge.

The entire economy has pretty much shut down.

We're in the age group that's most vulnerable, but at least, being retired, I don't have to rely on a job for a pay cheque.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic