Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

City Shopping

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Y M Ionhere

Re: City Shopping

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:42 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:54 pm
Chattanooga has great attractions for the family and for tourists (Lookout Mountain and a pretty nice freshwater aquarium in downtown), is conveniently situated between Atlanta and Nashville, and has plenty of affordable housing.

However, there are some high crime neighborhoods in the city, so do plenty of research if you consider moving there!
Someone whos done a bit of travelling actually told me that C'nooga was the most scenically beautiful place they have been. And apparently the winters are even milder than those in Knoxville.
Most cities will have rough neighborhoods. I have heard that C'nooga has some pretty bad spots. But I doubt its even close to Memphis, which has a LOT of truly awful areas. Knoxville has bad areas as well, but I think they are pretty small and scattered. There are plenty of news reports of felonies. Knoxville Police encrypted all their radio traffic. Prior to that, there was an online live feed from someones scanner. With what I heard on there, drugs were a big problem in Knoxville and a likely cause of many crimes. Havent looked at or listened to C'nooga enough to compare.
Ive heard similar things about Louisville. Neat place to visit, but beware of certain areas.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:10 pm

Memphis is gross, it's worst then Toledo Ohio or Flint. Knoxville is a mixed bag but its a lot better.

I was on another trip, This time SE Ohio. Marietta OH/Parkersburg WV/Vienna WV. All 3 towns are kind of lumped together. Marrietta was much nicer IMO, Decent downtown. The Towns themselves are nothing special but The scenery, WOW! It made up for a lot.

I did notice, people down that way have much better manners, then many in SE MI/NW OH do. I didn't that many stupid drivers. Some of The Inclines, even to go into some business's would take some getting used to. Not sure what job prospects are like.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:39 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:19 pm
I'll add another southern city to the list - Huntsville, AL.

Moving to Huntsville comes with its risks. The city is prone to devastating tornadoes.
I had a friend that to lived there not long ago and a nearby tornado helped deliver severe hail to his classic car. He ended up moving to the US VI, because the temp is more stable year round.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:47 am

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:29 am
Im planning a trip to the Knoxville area in a few months. I cannot physically or mentally handle the midwest winters. Knoxville gets a little cold and there is some snow, but not as much. Its also cheaper but at the same time, unemployment rates arent bad. About 3% in area communities. Its a calmer, slower pace.

I really wanted to live in north Texas, like DFW or Denton. But that area has gotten too expensive and congested. I dont want to deal with traffic.
I like what ive heard about Virginia Beach. Moderate temperatures, very low unemployment, lower crime rate. But also chaotic traffic and high cost of living. Also, the governors infanticide policy doesnt sit well with me.
Nashville is way too expensive now.
Atlanta is too busy and congested.
Basically, i want to live in a low-stress area, including not spending too much on rent, with less snow. Knoxville is the only place so far that I might be able to pull off. Im actually looking more towards Anderson or Blount counties.
What does the XYL think of these towns?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:22 am

The USVI looks beautiful, but there are some rough neighborhoods. They also have been hit more often by hurricanes in recent years. I was on St. Thomas and St. Croix this past January, and there were still areas cleaning up from Irma and Maria.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:07 pm

audiophile wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:47 am
Y M Ionhere wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:29 am
Im planning a trip to the Knoxville area in a few months. I cannot physically or mentally handle the midwest winters. Knoxville gets a little cold and there is some snow, but not as much. Its also cheaper but at the same time, unemployment rates arent bad. About 3% in area communities. Its a calmer, slower pace.

I really wanted to live in north Texas, like DFW or Denton. But that area has gotten too expensive and congested. I dont want to deal with traffic.
I like what ive heard about Virginia Beach. Moderate temperatures, very low unemployment, lower crime rate. But also chaotic traffic and high cost of living. Also, the governors infanticide policy doesnt sit well with me.
Nashville is way too expensive now.
Atlanta is too busy and congested.
Basically, i want to live in a low-stress area, including not spending too much on rent, with less snow. Knoxville is the only place so far that I might be able to pull off. Im actually looking more towards Anderson or Blount counties.
What does the XYL think of these towns?
She has no say.
I am beginning divorce proceedings. Wont say much other than i was on the receiving end of an abusive situation and am not putting up with any more.
A fresh start is needed. And a new place may be neccesarry.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:15 am

Wow! Sorry to hear. Have you tried counseling?

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:07 am

audiophile wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:15 am
Wow! Sorry to hear. Have you tried counseling?
Ive encouraged it for awhile. She refuses. "I wont discuss my personal problems with anyone". "I dont believe in it".
I have my limits. Hitting me in the face is it.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:32 am

All I say is, I'm sorry your going through that and hope that situation resolves itself soon.

So.. for me so far.

So 3 places visited So far I think..

1. Lexington KY-

Likes- Location near 75, lost cost of living in KY, Milder winters, Mountains but not difficult to drive in, College area and could get to Myrtle Beach to see family in 10-11 hours. No Vehicle inspections

Cons- Kentucky state government, lack of any major airport(would have to go to Cincinnati or Louisville) , lags a little behind the times in terms of new things. Weird Alcohol laws(but not a big deal in Fayette county)

2. Buffalo NY area-

Likes- An upgrade from Toledo as it has more stuff(Trader joes, Whole foods, etc..), Niagra falls park(love!), Full Functioning airport, 2-3 nice suburbs(amherst, Wheatfield). Only 4.5 hours from Toledo(if need be). Not too badly priced homes. A cooler summer then NW Ohio.

Cons- Vehicle Inspections, Higher car insurance(not as bad as MI), some property taxes, Areas are either bad or good(little gray area), Toll Roads, NY state taxes, snow.

3. Marietta Ohio/Vienna WV-

Likes- Scenary, decent cost of living, nice downtown, less harsh winter, better mannered people. Mostly everything you need between the 2 sides of the river.

Cons- Industry and jobs?, kind of behind the times, Not near major airport, hard driving in the winter, and not a lot to do.

Honestly, I liked The Buffalo area the best so far but I did like the small town feel of Marietta. My next stop is knoxville TN.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:02 pm

I've really been struggling with having to relocate somewhere just to live.

Ten years ago, my wife and I both were hit with severe medical crap which put us on SS disability. Personally, my income dropped from >$125k a year to we both make $2100 a month *combined*. Up until last fall, we received SNAP benefits and got by "modestly". That came to an end last fall, when we recertified and new algorithms kicked the majority of SNAP recipients to the curb. We did manage to finally jump through enough flaming hoops to get a lousy $15 a month. We are now literally malnourished. I do not know if this is just Genesee County thing, or statewide/nationwide.

The end results are that we need to find somewhere with cheaper cost of living overall, something I don't know even exists on US soil anymore. I'm hearing the Mexico and South America is much cheaper, but I cannot confirm that. I've heard some parts of Colorado are better as well, like Pueblo. I plan on taking a trip with the wife there next year if we can manage that.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:00 pm

WZRC 1067 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:32 am
All I say is, I'm sorry your going through that and hope that situation resolves itself soon.

So.. for me so far.

So 3 places visited So far I think..

1. Lexington KY-

Likes- Location near 75, lost cost of living in KY, Milder winters, Mountains but not difficult to drive in, College area and could get to Myrtle Beach to see family in 10-11 hours. No Vehicle inspections

Cons- Kentucky state government, lack of any major airport(would have to go to Cincinnati or Louisville) , lags a little behind the times in terms of new things. Weird Alcohol laws(but not a big deal in Fayette county)

2. Buffalo NY area-

Likes- An upgrade from Toledo as it has more stuff(Trader joes, Whole foods, etc..), Niagra falls park(love!), Full Functioning airport, 2-3 nice suburbs(amherst, Wheatfield). Only 4.5 hours from Toledo(if need be). Not too badly priced homes. A cooler summer then NW Ohio.

Cons- Vehicle Inspections, Higher car insurance(not as bad as MI), some property taxes, Areas are either bad or good(little gray area), Toll Roads, NY state taxes, snow.

3. Marietta Ohio/Vienna WV-

Likes- Scenary, decent cost of living, nice downtown, less harsh winter, better mannered people. Mostly everything you need between the 2 sides of the river.

Cons- Industry and jobs?, kind of behind the times, Not near major airport, hard driving in the winter, and not a lot to do.

Honestly, I liked The Buffalo area the best so far but I did like the small town feel of Marietta. My next stop is knoxville TN.

I was a little surprised by your observations about Marietta. Nice downtown. Hard winter driving. That's until I realized you were referring to Marietta OH and not Marietta GA, the Atlanta suburb.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:15 am

Out of the three, Buffalo is least appealing. Way too much snow and the city itself is a mess. You are near the Canadian border, which is a plus.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:59 am

Lexington is a great area. The Cincinnati airport isn't that far, really. About a 70 minute drive straight up I-75.

Kentucky basketball fans can be an annoying bunch, though. :blink

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

windsor

Post by windsor » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:27 pm

I know you said Mich is out but.....Traverse City is a real gem imo.Alot of snow though but beautiful summers.Often mentioned to the wife who is a US citizen via St clair Shores.....if I won the lottery TC would be worth a look and Frankenmuth area to buy a condo for months at a time.I love it both places......as for Buff no way just another Detroit imo.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:30 pm

Michigan, East side of the state no way. I do like western michigan. I've always kinda dreamed about TC area but not sure about a living wage job , for someone who doesn't have a college degree.

Lexington has a lot going for it I agree. WNY is I admit hit or miss in aspects but I find the climate similar to TC, kind of. That's the main draw, its close to Canada and being near the lake, Cooler summers at times. However snow, yeah they get that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic