Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

City Shopping

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
windsor

Re: City Shopping

Post by windsor » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:44 pm

WNY being close to Canada isn't worth shit.....Niagara is just a tourist trap and the GTA greater Toronto area is just a overpopulated cess pool. :barf

Folks in TO are selling their million dollar inflated realestate bubble homes and coming to the sun parlour of Canada …..here in affordable Essex County.

I like your idea of Lexington or Knoxville.Esp Knoxville/Gatlinburg area for the better WX. :D

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:39 am

windsor wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:44 pm
WNY being close to Canada isn't worth shit.....Niagara is just a tourist trap and the GTA greater Toronto area is just a overpopulated cess pool. :barf

Folks in TO are selling their million dollar inflated realestate bubble homes and coming to the sun parlour of Canada …..here in affordable Essex County.

I like your idea of Lexington or Knoxville.Esp Knoxville/Gatlinburg area for the better WX. :D

We have neighbours who quit their high paying jobs in Toronto and came to London where housing is affordable. Now their house is for sale. Want to get back to the city. London is just too small and too boring.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:36 am

Agreed Niagara is a tourist trap. St. Catharines is just sad.

I spent a night in London. Fairly vibrant, but it was Friday. It doesn’t seem that small to me, but it’s certainly not a Toronto or even Hamilton. Essex and Lambton are certainly more affordable than GTA.

Any plans on checking out more westerly cities?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:25 am

windsor wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:44 pm

Sun parlor: I been to that area once. Saw a lot of agriculture that seemed out place for that far north. It was neat though,

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:00 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:36 am
Agreed Niagara is a tourist trap. St. Catharines is just sad.

I spent a night in London. Fairly vibrant, but it was Friday. It doesn’t seem that small to me, but it’s certainly not a Toronto or even Hamilton. Essex and Lambton are certainly more affordable than GTA.

Any plans on checking out more westerly cities?

Not really, Kind of want to keep it semi sort of regional. With the exception of WNY, Knoxville and Lexington would be a good balance between family in MI and family in SC. No Hurricanes or massive snow storms. I really like Ashville NC but too expensive. I don't mind visiting SC but as a state, its not my cup of tea.

Just for fun, I've looked at some western cities but cost of living is getting high. AZ is getting pricey as are major cities in TX, also too over crowded. Although, I've heard Wichita KS is nice and affordable.

I am planning on going to knoxville, maybe Marchish, when we get out of the thick of winter.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:21 pm

WZRC 1067 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:30 pm
Michigan, East side of the state no way. I do like western michigan. I've always kinda dreamed about TC area but not sure about a living wage job , for someone who doesn't have a college degree.

Lexington has a lot going for it I agree. WNY is I admit hit or miss in aspects but I find the climate similar to TC, kind of. That's the main draw, its close to Canada and being near the lake, Cooler summers at times. However snow, yeah they get that.
Coincidentally, i ended up having a conversation with a co-worker yesterday who lived in TC and these topics came up.
He said decent-paying jobs ARE scarce. Especially year-round. It seems like a lot of the money there is seasonal and coming from downstate incomes. Suburbanites with cottages spending summers there. But year round residents wont find much opportunity on that level. Lots of retail or food/hotel jobs. The good news is that, unlike many touristy areas, affordable housing isnt that hard to find in Grand Traverse County.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:29 pm

I like Holland, Mi. Yes, its touristy. But it doesnt seem as dependant on that. Or as detached from jobs. Its not too far from Grand Rapids and I think it picks up some of their activity. Holland Twp has a lot of modern retail and the old indoor mall went through a makeover. Areas near Georgetown seem to have some manual labor jobs if thats your bag. I like it better than TC because it feels more like a functioning year-round region. Traffic sucks, though.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:18 am

Like snow?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:11 pm

Detroit, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, Traverse City, and Marquette are all infinitely better than shitty Buffalo, but keep on setting your sights to the sky!

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:57 am

Matt wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:11 pm
Detroit, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, Traverse City, and Marquette are all infinitely better than shitty Buffalo, but keep on setting your sights to the sky!
A few years ago, Buffalo was ranked Americas most miserable city.
I think 98% of US cities would be preferable.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:33 am

Holland, MI was a much nicer city 25 years ago.

Many of the high paying manufacturing jobs have since moved to Mexico or other areas of the U.S.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:36 pm

If money were no object at all and other things in my life were different, I'd live in San Diego in a heartbeat. I must admit I don't know a lot about W.Michigan but jobs tend to be lacking, from the data I've seen. I have some family that lives around Big Rapids but I have not seen them years.

Buffalo,in the city proper, no I would not live in. However, I find a few of the suburbs to be a major upgrade from the ones in The Toledo area. The area is far better then Cleveland with much less traffic issues, same for Detroit(not to mention the roads in MI, yikes!).

Lexington I did find to be fairly easy to get around there. Knoxville I've driven through but have only stopped for the night a couple times, Strawberry plains RD is a popular place to stop.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:15 pm

WZRC 1067 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:36 pm
If money were no object at all and other things in my life were different, I'd live in San Diego in a heartbeat. I must admit I don't know a lot about W.Michigan but jobs tend to be lacking, from the data I've seen. I have some family that lives around Big Rapids but I have not seen them years.

Buffalo,in the city proper, no I would not live in. However, I find a few of the suburbs to be a major upgrade from the ones in The Toledo area. The area is far better then Cleveland with much less traffic issues, same for Detroit(not to mention the roads in MI, yikes!).

Lexington I did find to be fairly easy to get around there. Knoxville I've driven through but have only stopped for the night a couple times, Strawberry plains RD is a popular place to stop.
I love San Diego, but I could never live there. Its absolutely beautiful and fun. From lower income barrios to wealthy La Jolla, surfers to starched-shirt businessmen, there is something for everyone. Fun shops, diverse dining, perfect climate. Many hispanics and Asians, adding to the diversity, and its one of the safer big cities. Their "bad areas" arent like the empty, boarded slums in the rest of the country.
But....
Housing costs are ludicrous. If youre a low-skill worker like me, you need 5 roomates crammed into a tiny apartment to get by, and thats not an arrangement I could be happy with. Im pretty introverted.
Traffic. We knew someone who lived there for decades. They moved because traffic got too unbearable. As someone who gets ancy and stressed in bad traffic-and spends a lot of time on the road- I cant handle that.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:37 pm

Flint, Saginaw, and Gary, IN are all better than Toledo by virtue of not being in Ohio.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:12 pm

Yeah... I hear ya Y M Ionhere . You read me like book! I don't have the fancy college degree or the means to live someplace like that. Room mates? No way! Not a fan of traffic. Nothing wrong with being introverted.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic