Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

L. L. Bean

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

L. L. Bean

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:32 am

Somehow, I've ended up on the L.L. Bean e mail list. It's all very high priced outdoor clothing. Must be for pretentious, middle class types who want to be seen wearing the brand.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 24

Re: L. L. Bean

Post by Deleted User 24 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:10 am

The stuff is well-made and wears like iron. I've had a winter jacket and a down vest from them that I have worn for at least a decade.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:50 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:10 am
The stuff is well-made and wears like iron. I've had a winter jacket and a down vest from them that I have worn for at least a decade.
I have a down/goretex winter "great coat" going on 20 years.
Once upon a time they had a lifetime no questions asked guarantee but I'm not sure its still in place.

The flagship store in Freeport Main has been open 24/7 since 1951 only closing for LL Bean's funeral, JFK's funeral, a fire across the street and on a few "blue law" Sundays in the early 60's.

I no longer directly engage trolls

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:52 pm

To add to the above they make high quality outdoor gear and it does come at a price.
I also have a 3 season jacket going on 25 years I think.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:03 pm

Let me guess.

You self identify as middle class. :razz

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:32 pm

Yes, and pretentious as well.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:21 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:03 pm
Let me guess.

You self identify as middle class. :razz
Once upon a time I self identified as a guy who worked outdoors year around, who fished, camped, back packed, hiked. cross country skied etc. So I appreciated what high quality outdoor equipment offered when I was miles away from civilization.
I no longer buy LL Bean stuff because it is expensive and can no longer afford it for my life style these days. With two bad hips and a bad right knee my wilderness days are behind me.
As far as high end outdoor gear goes LL Bean isn't all that expensive.

And to TT's point I don't disagree that a lot of high end outdoor gear is bought by people who don't use it for the wilderness.
Just like most people driving pickup trucks are not likely to throw 1-1.5 tons of shingles in the back several times a month.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:32 pm
I shouldn't judge others. What seems shallow and pretentious to us, in the working class, might be profoundly self affirming, to you middle class types.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:43 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:08 pm
Vic Doucette wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:32 pm
I shouldn't judge others. What seems shallow and pretentious to us, in the working class, might be profoundly self affirming, to you middle class types.
I just wanted warm clothing that would last a long time and not fall apart after a couple of years. Don't read anything more into it than that.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:57 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:08 pm

I don't know what your definition is of "middle class" but mine is somebody who can afford to spend the winter in Florida. That's at least middle class.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:49 pm

I have a great classic yellow raincoat from LL Bean. These days I prefer Carhart as they are made in Michigan (or the things I buy are).

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:50 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:57 pm

I don't know what your definition is of "middle class" but mine is somebody who can afford to spend the winter in Florida. That's at least middle class.
Working class has nothing to do with one's income or bank balance. Working class is a state of mind. It's about the dignity of working for a living. It's carrying a lunchbox. It's getting one's hands dirty. It's the pride in having one's voice heard at the Union meeting.

If I won the lottery jackpot tomorrow, I'd still be working class. I was born working class and I'll be working class til the day I die. And proud of it.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:53 pm

I did residential roofing for 28 years. Up on a roof in 95 degree heat, 15 degree cold with well below zero wind chill and I own a couple LL Bean jackets. I'm more working class than some bumfuck suit and tie wanna be defending undefendable behavior in the name of a union.
It's rare your condescending attitude bothers me but tonight it does TT.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:03 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:53 pm
I did residential roofing for 28 years. Up on a roof in 95 degree heat, 15 degree cold with well below zero wind chill and I own a couple LL Bean jackets. I'm more working class than some bumfuck suit and tie wanna be defending undefendable behavior in the name of a union.
It's rare your condescending attitude bothers me but tonight it does TT.
The last time I wore a suit and tie, was at the funeral of my dear mother, more than a year ago.I didn't suggest anywhere that you are anything other than working class. You are, obviously, proud of your class, as indeed you should be.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:08 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:50 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:57 pm

Working class has nothing to do with one's income or bank balance. Working class is a state of mind. It's about the dignity of working for a living. It's carrying a lunchbox. It's getting one's hands dirty. It's the pride in having one's voice heard at the Union meeting.

If I won the lottery jackpot tomorrow, I'd still be working class. I was born working class and I'll be working class til the day I die. And proud of it.
Oh great... another discussion of your whacked out class definitions... society defines class by income not attitudes...

If it’s about carrying a lunchbox and having dignity in your work then most people qualify... listen... I hate to break it to you but union work that gets your hands dirty is more and more a memory... but one can have dignity in all kinds of work. One can be middle class and still be in a union, carry a lunchbox, be damned proud of their job and the whole thing.... I don’t understand where this terrible attitude towards the middle class came from... usually you conflate the middle and upper classes while you are at it... I don’t get it...

I make $40,000 or so a year driving a bus... I’m proud of my work, the union got axed before I hired on (my understanding is that the stewards were taking care of themselves and not backing their fellow drivers when the heat was on), my hands get dirty more often than not for one reason or other and I don’t bother to carry a lunch box... we stop for food along the way which I get free. I like some nicer things as well. I also struggle to make ends meet more often than not. Am I working class?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic