Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Norman Lear dies

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
matt1

Norman Lear dies

Post by matt1 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:59 pm

Norman Lear, TV producer for "All In The Family", "Maude" & "The Jeffersons" has died at 101 years old. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Lear

matt1

Re: Norman Lear dies

Post by matt1 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:03 pm

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:19 am

With the exception of Hot L Baltimore (who remembers THAT one!), everything Lear produced seemed to turn to gold. It was a time when political correctness and "wokeness" was NOT the thing.
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

FredLeonard

Post by FredLeonard » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:13 pm

In a way, Norman Lear went back to the future. When All In The Family first aired, I was at school and watched it on small black and white TV. What struck me most, not what everyone talks about, was how the show had the look and feel of the classic live sitcoms of the 50s (like The Honeymooners among others). Yes, it was edgy and got laughs from controversy. But Lear's big mistake in a short time was having too many shows on the air. I've been watching AITF on ME-TV and after the first few seasons it devolved into just another sitcom. I don't know if this was because there was only so much you can do with Archie and Meathead arguing or because Lear was too busy with all his other shows to give AITF the attention is needed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic