Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Best Cartoons growing up

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
Deleted User 15835

Best Cartoons growing up

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:41 am

So I grew up in the late 80s-90s, graduated high school in 1999. There is a worst cartoons thread, so I figured I'd make a best cartoons thread.

Nickelodeon Doug- Doug was a bit of a geek but the show is kind of charming in a way, also re-watching the show as an adult, I missed all the cool pop culture references as a kid. I always like Mayor White and Roger.

Heathcliff and the Catillac Cats- No surprise here as you can probably tell. I always thought Heathcliff was underrated, but my favorite was The Catillac cats segment. Riff Raff was of course my favorite. The show was on Nickelodeon but I believe on the family channel as well. I remember seeing it on WUPW Fox 36 as well.

Adventures of Tin Tin- Kind of an odd choice I know, this was on HBO in the mornings. The show was geared towards kids but adults could enjoy it too. IMO Well written and intellectual.

I may add more later.

Bobbert

Re: Best Cartoons growing up

Post by Bobbert » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:07 am

I'm about 20 years older than you, but from the late 90s, I remember a lot of creative children's programming on CBC that could also be appreciated by adults, I remember the cartoon "Little Bear," along with some computerized animation that had a lot of smooth mechanical motion.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:58 pm

I also graduated in 1999.

The cartoons I remember growing up were Looney Tunes, Inspector Gadget, Garfield, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, the Flintstones, and sometimes Rugrats. I remember them all fondly. I vaguely remember Heathcliff being on Nickelodeon, but that had to be when I was really young, probably in the mid-80s. I still have part of the Heathcliff opening theme song (both variations of it) lodged into my brain.

One underrated cartoon that I didn't discover until I was a little older was Recess (on Disney).

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:42 pm

I used to watch Little Bear on Nick Jr. and its sister channel Noggin in the early 2000s. It was really good.

Screwball869

Post by Screwball869 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:55 am

I'd like to say Tennessee Tuxedo was one of them. I used to like when they would have to visit Mr. Whopee to figure out their plans. I would run home from school for lunch to watch it along with Col. McBragg, Underdog, and Go Go Gophers.
Great time for being a kid

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:46 pm

One of the best by far was Mysterious Cities of Gold (aka Taiyou no Ko Esteban, Les Mysterieuses Cites d'Or). I've been watching some episodes again recently and it holds up quite well - excellent animation, great music, an engaging story and some surprisingly mature themes for a show targeted toward kids. It showed daily on Nickelodeon during the late '80s, but if you didn't have cable and spoke French, you could also watch it weekends on Windsor's Channel 54.

Pretty much anything that had the name Nippon Animation attached to it, and their stuff showed up a lot on cable in those days (Grimm's Fairy Tales, Noozles and Maya the Bee on Nickelodeon, Little Women and Tom Sawyer on HBO, Swiss Family Robinson on the Family Channel; even Univision aired Future Boy Conan, notable for being the directorial debut of one Hayao Miyazaki). Their productions were always of very high animation quality and strong attention to detail. Even often haphazard English dubbing jobs by companies like Saban didn't detract from their charm.

Likewise, the Unico films (based on an Osamu Tezuka manga and animated by Madhouse) that showed up on the Disney Channel on occasion (I considered myself lucky if they were going to be on during one of the free preview weekends in the days before Disney was a basic cable channel). Stellar animation, decent English dubbing, and a surprisingly dark nature one might not expect at first glance looking at the cuter-than-cute baby unicorn who was the lead character.

It should be obvious that I preferred anime to Western animation, but I also enjoyed shows like the Looney Tunes, Tiny Toon Adventures, Inspector Gadget, Muppet Babies and, yes, Heathcliff. No surprise to find out that many of these shows were actually animated by Japanese or Korean studios. And like the OP, Nickelodeon's Doug was also a favorite as I moved into adolescence.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:34 am

I'm an old fuck....66. Bullwinkle and Rocky was one of the most underrated cartoon shows ever. Add in Dudley Do-Right and Fractured Fairy Tales, and you're talking genius.

The censorship king from out of state.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:24 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:34 am
Bullwinkle and Rocky was one of the most underrated cartoon shows ever. Add in Dudley Do-Right and Fractured Fairy Tales, and you're talking genius.
Don't forget this. The opening and closing theme songs alone make this a classic.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:00 pm

Bugs Bunny and Road Runner, hands down.

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic