Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Gallery of Old Michigan Radio Stations

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
SolarMax

Gallery of Old Michigan Radio Stations

Post by SolarMax » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:26 pm

Seen on Michigan History FB site.
From WMFK, a photo gallery of radio stations- many exteriors, some staff pics and promotional material.
The radio gallery then segues into one featuring old bowling establishments.
https://99wfmk.com/old-michigan-radio-stations/

Turkeytop

Re: Gallery of Old Michigan Radio Stations

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:51 pm

Great stuff. Thanks for posting.

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:58 am

Many of those buildings could have used a good coat of paint.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:41 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:58 am
Many of those buildings could have used a good coat of paint.
Well, it's radio, so who'd know?
Maybe they'll get painted if the sales guy can set up a tradeout with the town hardware store.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:08 pm

They did not include the old WBCM site in Bay City. The original tower is still there, but it was cut down by half years ago and is now a cell phone tower.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:00 am

A photo of radio towers was included, labeled as "Washington MI, 1933". What station would this have been?

Deleted User 15905

Post by Deleted User 15905 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:31 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:00 am
A photo of radio towers was included, labeled as "Washington MI, 1933". What station would this have been?
I was also wondering that. Could they’ve been WBRB from Mt. Clemens, I know that at one time WBRB had their tower at Hall Road and Hayes before they ended up at Gratiot and 14 Mile.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:38 pm

If the picture is WBRB, it’s definitely not from 1933

Deleted User 15905

Post by Deleted User 15905 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:42 am

It could be anything back then. Here’s some other possibilities WGHP (WXYZ)1270 from Mt.Clemens up until 1928 when it moved to Fraser and eventually to Detroit. Another possibility is it could be an aircraft beacon. And one more a Police radio transmitter, back in those day the local police occupied 1600 kHz to 1700 kHz. Just a few thoughts.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:16 pm

The last time I looked, the WBRB original site on Hayes Rd. is still a protected wetland. You can see where the line of towers was. They tiled a drain to try to keep it from flooding, and the scrubby tree roots love it. It still floods. But that may be why they moved. Bill Hennes didn't remember it being there, and Bob Liggett passed away before I had a chance to ask him. Other reasons are that they may have moved is that they wanted to put up a taller tower for WBRB-FM, and the proximity of Berz Macomb Airport wouldn't allow it, and they wanted to be full time, but it was in the wrong direction from Mt. Clemens for night service. Eventually, they went full-time with two more towers for a dog leg three tower using one of the Day towers near Gratiot South of Mt. Clemens, on Pitko St. The WDKL 102.7 antenna was just South of those five towers until recently.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:51 pm

I wonder if it was a shortwave facility, or Washington, MI isn't the actual location. Looks like that or an FCC Monitoring Station like they had in Allegan. If it was 1933, there were quite a few spies that operated on shortwave, and it might have been a monitoring facility for those. There was one spy near Oscoda as I recall.

Also looks like a late 1940's collocated AM station site with a two tower low dial AM, a three tower inline array with high dial position, and another high dial AM with a four tower parallelogram.

-Author Unknown

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:56 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:16 pm
The last time I looked, the WBRB original site on Hayes Rd. is still a protected wetland. You can see where the line of towers was. They tiled a drain to try to keep it from flooding, and the scrubby tree roots love it. It still floods. But that may be why they moved. Bill Hennes didn't remember it being there, and Bob Liggett passed away before I had a chance to ask him. Other reasons are that they may have moved is that they wanted to put up a taller tower for WBRB-FM, and the proximity of Berz Macomb Airport wouldn't allow it, and they wanted to be full time, but it was in the wrong direction from Mt. Clemens for night service. Eventually, they went full-time with two more towers for a dog leg three tower using one of the Day towers near Gratiot South of Mt. Clemens, on Pitko St. The WDKL 102.7 antenna was just South of those five towers until recently.
The east side of the old WBRB site was recently developed, a Hilton Garden Inn and Residence Inn were built on the property.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:22 am

Found the spot on Google Maps. For a 'protected wetland', there seem to be plenty of vehicle tracks in the area.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic