Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Respecting Legacy On Air Staff

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
Sholmes

Respecting Legacy On Air Staff

Post by Sholmes » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:05 pm

I would be nice to go back to the stability of the Golden Age when On Air staff were respected, and allowed to have a following and here local celebrities.

I remember Martha Dixon from the old WJIM in Lansing. She was respected for her years of dedication and allowed to leave on her terms with great fanfare.

In Grand Rapids I would say the decline started with the sudden dismissal of Ann Alwood from WZZM for no other reason than wanting a "younger" face.

Now a days an anchor is lucky to get 2 years in.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

organman95

Re: Respecting Legacy On Air Staff

Post by organman95 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:44 am

A lot of it is corporate bs. I think there are a few quite large corporations out there that have little-to-no respect for the staff at the stations. I've heard of a few that have invested and helped a station grow, and others that just do the bare minimum, if not less. Without the backing and respect, many people leave.

I'd say the decline as a whole started in the early-2000s. Prior to that there were still several 'small' corporations out there that put a lot of time and money into their staff and news departments with the faith that it would continue to grow. After greed took over the mainstream, here we are.

FredLeonard

Post by FredLeonard » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:12 am

Sholmes wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:05 pm
I remember Martha Dixon from the old WJIM in Lansing. She was respected for her years of dedication and allowed to leave on her terms with great fanfare.
Local advertisers did like Martha. She gave a lot more than the 30 second spot they bought. But mostly her success longevity from sleeping with Hal Gross, who owned WJIM-TV for many years, and ultimately married Martha. Remember it's not whom you know.....

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:40 am

We respect the on-air staff. It is the owners that do not.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic