Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Dark Shadows

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
sfpcc

Dark Shadows

Post by sfpcc » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:19 am

Due to reality being what it is in 2020 I've been watching a lot of Decades TV. At midnight they're showing Dark Shadows, (it moves to 5 AM on October 5th.) I remember Old 62 used to show it in the 80's at 5:30, right after DR Who. Besides the original run does anyone remember seeing it on Detroit TV? Does anyone remember watching it at all? I just started watching a few episodes and it seems pretty kooky, (but not in the Addams Family way, well maybe a little.)

Ben Zonia

Re: Dark Shadows

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:55 am

It originally aired on ABC around 4:00 PM in the Soap Opera schedule. It lasted from 1966 to 1971. It would have been on Channels 7, 12, 13G, and 13T in the TV Guide for Michigan. It was monochrome for about the first year. It was the first big break for Dan Curtis Productions, which went on to do such classic miniseries as "The Winds Of War", and "War and Remembrance". DCP went up a steep learning curve with Dark Shadows, with all the mike boom shadows, things falling and making noise on the set, and flubbed lines by Joan Bennett. A lot of people from the series went on to Prime Time, like John Karlen, David Selby, Kathryn Leigh Scott, and Kate Jackson. It was spooky. and dealt with ghoulish subjects, but all the mistakes gave it comic relief. Every once in a while, there was a funny line or situation like the time one of the characters walked into a house on the grounds and said it must be lighted with a "5 watt bulb". One character lived out in the woods, and had a big bullhorn speaker above the door, and when you rang the doorbell, it said "GO AWAY" with a lot of reverb.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:55 am

Dark Shadows is one of those shows that was spooky to watch when I was a kid, but is hilarious now! :rollin :lol

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:51 am

I remember my mom watching it as part of the soaps package and we'd sit there and watch a few episodes with her. I remember Barnabas Collins and when they built the brick wall in the basement.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:29 pm

km1125 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:51 am
I remember my mom watching it as part of the soaps package and we'd sit there and watch a few episodes with her. I remember Barnabas Collins and when they built the brick wall in the basement.
As I recall, it took about 5 episodes for Rev. Trask to lay the last few rows of bricks. It was just a small closet like space, in an archway, as I recall. If it wasn't, Barnabas would have escaped through secret passageways and exits, as almost all aristocratic mansions do have in real life. I've seen them on tours of such old mansions. When the going gets rough, they slip out the back, Jack.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic