Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

25 Five Years Later / The Great Detroit Switch

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
sfpcc

25 Five Years Later / The Great Detroit Switch

Post by sfpcc » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:34 pm

It's been 25 years since the affiliate switch of 1994. I know this topic has been discussed a lot but I think this anniversary deserves some noting. Anyone out there have any thoughts on the subject, (there many people here that has joined this board since 2015.)

fuzzpower

Re: 25 Five Years Later / The Great Detroit Switch

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:20 am

I remember it well. Before this, 62 had been running the CBS morning show in preparation. Most of WJBK’s rejected daytime shows prior to the switch were on WADL. WGPR was extremely low budget and had a terrible signal in many suburbs. CBS helped them in the long run.

WKBD’s FOX programming was often preempted for sports, so it gave the market a full time affiliate.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:27 pm

The WGPR of 1994 wasn't exactly the WGPR people fondly remember. Among the things that were gone were:

The Scene
DR Who
Those weird late movies, (Not it's actual title but it might as well be)
Big City News
Dark Shadows

I think the Arab Voice Of Detroit was still around in 94. The things I remember on 62 at that time were The Last Days Of The NBC Soap Santa Barbara, Insight and Remington Steel.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:36 pm

62 ran NBC’s game shows WDIV rejected. One was Caesar’s Challenge. I know they reran the syndicated Family Feud, just before Dawson came back (that was on WKBD). I believe they had plenty of infomercials by 1994 as well.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:09 pm

Well, CBS on WWJ-TV is now on a more or less equal footing with ABC and NBC. THEY ARE ALL ON UHF. UHF is a term that used to strike almost supernatural fear in network broadcasters. And UHF continues to have limitations which cannot be overcome, because of the LAWS OF PHYSICS. The fact that VHF is now seen as a step child is because 1) Many newfangled antennas don't have tuned VHF elements with sufficient aperture, and 2) The ERP permitted does not meet real world reception conditions in many cases. Like early propagation prediction methods, they use nearly flat terrain. Longley Rice is used in special cases, but not universally.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic