Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Planet 96.3 mid 90s

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
radio stain

The Planet 96.3 mid 90s

Post by radio stain » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:52 am

This was a pretty unique station that made it one of my favs at the time. Anyone remember any songs that they played that you didn't hear anywhere else on the dial at the time?

Deleted User 14992

Re: The Planet 96.3 mid 90s

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:37 am

I loved them in the 90’s, Short lived but great.

Chris1980

Re: The Planet 96.3 mid 90s

Post by Chris1980 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:34 pm

If you visit the American Radio History website, you can find plenty of Planet 96.3 current playlists from that era in issues of Radio & Records. They continued to report as a CHR for their first couple of months as Planet before switching over to the Alternative panel. They became a Hot AC reporter in 1998 or '99.

What I always enjoyed best about Planet was the Classic Alternative programming. Probably doesn't count as "songs you couldn't hear anywhere else" since 89X had their Time Warp Sunday mornings and 105.1 The Edge played some of it too, but it introduced me to a lot of great music I didn't know existed beforehand. It's possible some of those songs hadn't been played on Detroit radio since WABX and WLBS played "new music" around 1983-84.

Poking around on Archive.org, I found a 396 Coolest Flashbacks of All Time countdown from 1997. Here are a couple of the more "oh wow" songs from that list. A couple of these hit Billboard's Hot 100 but didn't reach the Top 40.

Alarm - Rain in the Summertime
Bangles - Hero Takes a Fall (from their largely-forgotten 1984 debut album)
Book of Love - Boy, I Touch the Roses
The Call - I Still Believe, The Walls Came Down
Tracy Chapman - Talkin' 'Bout a Revolution
Julian Cope - World Shut Your Mouth
Depeche Mode - Never Let Me Down Again, Route 66/Behind the Wheel, Everything Counts, Master and Servant, A Question of Lust, Blasphemous Rumours
Devo - Satisfaction, Working in the Coal Mine, Through Being Cool
Echo & The Bunnymen - The Killing Moon, Bring on the Dancing Horses
Erasure - Oh L'Amour
Peter Gabriel - Don't Give Up (duet with Kate Bush)
Hoodoo Gurus - I Want You Back
Housemartins - Happy Hour
INXS - Original Sin
Madness - One Step Beyond
Midnight Oil - The Dead Heart
Ministry - Work for Love, Everyday Is Halloween
The Monroes - What Do All the People Know
Sinead O'Connor - The Emperor's New Clothes
Oingo Boingo - Not My Slave, Just Another Day
Planet P - Why Me (featuring Tony "A Fine Fine Day" Carey)
Q-Feel - Dancing in Heaven (a member of this group, Martin Page, had a big solo hit in 1995 with "In the House of Stone and Light")
Replacements - I'll Be You
Rhythm Corps - On Common Ground
Romeo Void - Never Say Never
Roxy Music - More Than This (later a minor hit for 10,000 Maniacs)
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Peek-A-Boo, Cities in Dust, Dear Prudence (I actually didn't know this was a Beatles cover then)
Smithereens - Only a Memory
Smiths - This Charming Man
Squeeze - Pulling Mussels, Another Nail in My Heart, Annie Get Your Gun
10,000 Maniacs - What's the Matter Here, Like the Weather
The The - Uncertain Smile
They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse in Your Soul
Tubes - Talk to Ya Later
Ultravox - Reap the Wild Wind
Violent Femmes - Kiss Off, Gone Daddy Gone
XTC - Dear God
Yazoo - Don't Go, Only You

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic