Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

General Detroit Movie Thread.

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
SolarMax

Re: General Detroit Movie Thread.

Post by SolarMax » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:57 am

sfpcc wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:25 pm
It was CBEFT Channel 78 (Yes, There were 5 Call letters and don’t really know why maybe someone on the board has an answer)

According to Wikipedia CBEFT was a satellite of CBFT out of Montreal. Satellite or repeater stations usually have call signs longer than four letters.
(I don't have a broadcasting background so I might be wrong.)
Nothing difficult about it.
CBEFT was the French-language Television station in Windsor, with the "T" signifying television.
CBEF is the SRC ICI Premiere French-language radio station in Windsor, 1550 AM, formerly at 540.
CBET is the CBC TV station in Windsor, the call derived from the former mothership, CBE 1550 AM.
CBEW is the CBC Radio One FM station on 97.5
CBE-FM is the CBC Music FM station on 89.9

In the U.S., hyphenated calls like "Wxxx-FM" and "Wxxx-TV," are the full legal callsigns of stations where there is, or once was, an AM with the same base call, now whether or not under same ownership. I don't know that "xxx-AM" has ever been granted as an AM callsign.

thatguy

Post by thatguy » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:16 pm

the 4 o'clock movie on channel 7 during the early 80s. This is how I got into the old Planet of the Apes movies

And the 8 o'clock movie on channel 50 with the Charles Bronson Death Wish movies.

"Turn off that bulls**t! Turn off that mother f***kin' radio!"

FredLeonard

Post by FredLeonard » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:47 pm

IMHO Bill Kennedy was the best - most interesting, most informative, most fun - movie host. I've seen different hosts in different cities plus Bob Dorian when AMC showed classic movies and Robert Osborne on TCM but nobody did it better (makes me feel sad for the rest). Kennedy had a lot of inside gossip on golden age Hollywood and didn't try to puff a bad movie.
Mary Morgan's run on CKLW-TV was mostly concurrent with Kennedy's. She and Rita clearly did not have the background that Kennedy had and mostly just blathered it. Morgan hosted Million Dollar Movie on Sunday afternoons. Mostly MDM ran in prime time without a host. Often MDM would run the same movie two or three evenings in a row to maximize the audience (a practice followed on other RKO General independent stations, such as WOR-TV in New York).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic