Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Friendly Giant and Mr. Dress Up

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
Deleted User 14888

The Friendly Giant and Mr. Dress Up

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:27 pm

Anyone remember these two great Children’s Shows On CKLW Channel 9 back in the day?

windsor

Re: The Friendly Giant and Mr. Dress Up

Post by windsor » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:23 pm

I dont know if those two shows were shown on CKLW tv when RKO owned the station or only when CBC took ch9 over as CBET.

I do remember going to see a childrens show live from the CKLW studio's on Riverside Drive called Romper Room with Miss Flora.That was on in the mornings on ch9.We also had Bozo's Big Top......

Its so sad when I talk about our old ch9 which was such a great channel before Trudeau and co. screwed up our broadcasting, most Windsorites now eyes glaze over, very few can relate.

I always hold on to all those old memories of the great Windsor/Detroit tv of that era.On CKLW who didnt watch all those great shows like Big Time Wrestling,Bill Kennedy at the movies,Bozo,Dance Party with Robin Seymour, all the great cartoons which were exclusive to CKLW tv like the Marvel Superheroes in 1966.And one of the most powerful signals in the area....... :eek

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:36 pm

What I do know as well (thanks to old online newspaper archives) is that back when they were in first-run, CKLW showed all three of the syndicated Hanna-Barbera cartoon series that were airing in the early 1960's-Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw and Yogi Bear.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:09 am

I never missed The Friendly Giant! "Look up, waaaay up!" :)

This was definitely during the RKO General days.

I don't remember Mr. Dressup, but do remember the French tutelage program Chez Helene paired with The Friendly Giant in the same half-hour.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:12 pm

Ed Golick's page is a treasure trove: http://www.detroitkidshow.com/

The censorship king from out of state.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:18 pm

windsor wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:23 pm
I dont know if those two shows were shown on CKLW tv when RKO owned the station or only when CBC took ch9 over as CBET.

I do remember going to see a childrens show live from the CKLW studio's on Riverside Drive called Romper Room with Miss Flora.That was on in the mornings on ch9.We also had Bozo's Big Top......

Its so sad when I talk about our old ch9 which was such a great channel before Trudeau and co. screwed up our broadcasting, most Windsorites now eyes glaze over, very few can relate.

I always hold on to all those old memories of the great Windsor/Detroit tv of that era.On CKLW who didnt watch all those great shows like Big Time Wrestling,Bill Kennedy at the movies,Bozo,Dance Party with Robin Seymour, all the great cartoons which were exclusive to CKLW tv like the Marvel Superheroes in 1966.And one of the most powerful signals in the area....... :eek
It indeed was a great station, at the time when TV was still young and Detroit had 4 VHF stations, Channel 9 was a great alternative to the 3 major networks.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:40 am

Replaced by this CBC Kids show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5MWYdf3QXs featuring Gary The Unicorn, Cottonball, the pink monster & Mr. Orlando.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic