Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Worst Cartoon You Can Remember Growing Up (Or In General)

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
Deleted User 14888

Re: Worst Cartoon You Can Remember Growing Up (Or In General)

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:46 pm

The Cowboy and Borderboy653659200 Show! Is that on Channel 9?

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:48 pm

I very much disliked The Ren and Stimpy Show.
The rest of the 90s nicktoons were great though

Music is my life.

SaginawSid

Post by SaginawSid » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:47 pm

Wow, there were a lot of crummy cartoons when I was growing up in the 1960s, but somehow -- weed -- many of them "improved" by my teenage years. Speed Racer was a particular favorite with a group I hung out with it. We'd get together on occasion and watch in a friend's basement after school and howl with laughter at how asinine it was. Speed's brother Spritle and the pet monkey chim-chim were hilariously annoying, as were all the "ooh, ahhs" murmured throughout the show. It was so dumb it was funny, if you know what I mean.

"Hey Mr. Businessman, you can't dress like me."
-- Jimi Hendrix

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:50 pm

Two words: "Chargeman Ken."

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:04 am

Chris1980 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:50 pm
As much as people crap on Speed Racer, be thankful no American company saw a need to bring this one over 40 years ago!

thatguy

Post by thatguy » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:29 pm

organman95 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:59 am
Without a doubt, SpongeBob Squarepants
My wife and daughters love that crap. To me it's an overdose of stupid.

"Turn off that bulls**t! Turn off that mother f***kin' radio!"

organman95

Post by organman95 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:19 pm

thatguy wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:29 pm

My wife and daughters love that crap. To me it's an overdose of stupid.
I wouldn't even watch it if I was drunk or high. That's how absurdly stupid it is.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:40 pm

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:04 am
Chris1980 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:50 pm
As much as people crap on Speed Racer, be thankful no American company saw a need to bring this one over 40 years ago!
And the character designer (Eiji Tanaka) was the same as Speed Racer's.... and and would also work on the Little Prince anime that Chargeman Ken's studio, Knack, made in the late '70s (and which aired on Nickelodeon in the early '80s). That's probably the weakest animated show I remember from my own youth - the production values are a step up from most of Knack's other work, but the English dub is horridly written and bowdlerized, and Knack on a good day didn't hold a candle to Toei, Tatsunoko or TMS on a bad day.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:34 am

You know those "Really Rottens" from Hanna - Barbera's "Laff-A-Lympics" (1977 - 1979)?? I wonder if the other cartoon characters could do a reboot of their own shows for "Boomerang" or "Cartoon Network"?? Of course "Mumbly" did his own show in 1975 & 1976 as well as "Wacky Races" in 1969.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:35 am

Todd with the sunglasses from Beavis & Butthead cartoons reminds me of Chuck Norris in his hey day in the 70's!!!

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:04 pm

Two votes for me: Beavis and Butthead, and Ren and Stimpy.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:00 am

paul8539 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:04 pm
Two votes for me: Beavis and Butthead, and Ren and Stimpy.
We can't be friends now for sure.

I would have to say Sylvester and Tweety for the 90's.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:11 am

Love me some Beavis and Butthead. I had VHS tapes full of the episodes.

Ren and Stimpy I liked but didn't love.

1. Disney's Doug I did not like, but the Nickelodeon version I didn't mind. I was in class with a guy named Doug and I remember later on, he talked about how much he hated that show.

2. There was this one messed up one from the 2000s, where these characters only had torsos and like no legs. It was weird.

3. There was this one where, these animal lived in a drawer or something, they were multicolored. The pop pals or something?

4. Some of the older cartoons that Used to be on USA's Cartoon Express were pretty bad.

Bet you can't guess which cartoon was my favorite.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:13 am

Laff-a-Lympics, Clue Club (one of their many second-tier attempts to remake Scooby-Doo), Shirt Tales, Jabberjaw, Roman Holidays... wasn't born yet when they first aired (except for Shirt Tales, which debuted when I was 2), but USA hauled their rotting carcasses out of the closet for a new generation to gaze at in disbelief.
Hard to believe the '70s was the same decade H-B made "Charlotte's Web," which might as well be Disney or Ghibli quality in comparison to most of their other output that decade.

Disney's Doug flew under my radar while it was on the air; I think I was aware that it existed but never took the time to watch. And from the episodes I have taken the time to watch, I didn't miss much. I love the Nick series - it's by far my favorite of Nick's original animations.

Riff Raff - are you thinking of Popples?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popples_(1986_TV_series)

What about shows you thought that were good/decent but didn't take off? Remember when Jim Henson tried to expand the success of Muppet Babies into Little Muppet Monsters? It lasted all of maybe two or three episodes before it was yanked, due to Henson being displeased with its quality and the overseas animation studio (Toei) not being able to make deadline. After watching the extant episodes, though, I rather like it. Partly because, unlike Muppet Babies, it had segments with the actual puppets. The animated version of Pigs in Space was also enjoyable. An animated version of Fraggle Rock fared a little better a few years later, at least managing to make it to 13 episodes, but it's not nearly as good as the puppet-based series, though I wouldn't call it bad.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:53 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:13 am
Laff-a-Lympics, Clue Club (one of their many second-tier attempts to remake Scooby-Doo), Shirt Tales, Jabberjaw, Roman Holidays... wasn't born yet when they first aired (except for Shirt Tales, which debuted when I was 2), but USA hauled their rotting carcasses out of the closet for a new generation to gaze at in disbelief.
Hard to believe the '70s was the same decade H-B made "Charlotte's Web," which might as well be Disney or Ghibli quality in comparison to most of their other output that decade.

Disney's Doug flew under my radar while it was on the air; I think I was aware that it existed but never took the time to watch. And from the episodes I have taken the time to watch, I didn't miss much. I love the Nick series - it's by far my favorite of Nick's original animations.

Riff Raff - are you thinking of Popples?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popples_(1986_TV_series)

What about shows you thought that were good/decent but didn't take off? Remember when Jim Henson tried to expand the success of Muppet Babies into Little Muppet Monsters? It lasted all of maybe two or three episodes before it was yanked, due to Henson being displeased with its quality and the overseas animation studio (Toei) not being able to make deadline. After watching the extant episodes, though, I rather like it. Partly because, unlike Muppet Babies, it had segments with the actual puppets. The animated version of Pigs in Space was also enjoyable. An animated version of Fraggle Rock fared a little better a few years later, at least managing to make it to 13 episodes, but it's not nearly as good as the puppet-based series, though I wouldn't call it bad.
Yes that's the one! The 80s sure had some weird stuff.

Jim Henson should of left well enough alone IMO. Nickelodeon Doug, I admit I liked. I liked the episode where Doug had to go on this little kids show and Roger found out, turned out Roger was on the same show a year before. Growing up, I could relate to the doug in some respects.

I was born in 1980 myself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic