Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Visit America's Last Morse-Code Station

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

Visit America's Last Morse-Code Station

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:21 pm

It's the only one left in North America, and where Morse-Code once ruled the seas, this station is now the realm of hobbyists known as the "Radio Squirrels." It's located near San Francisco.

https://archive.ph/SxFey

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Round Six

Re: Visit America's Last Morse-Code Station

Post by Round Six » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:15 am

I get a monthly newsletter from them. Updates on what they are doing. Different people operating. Projects and repairs. That sort of thing. You can sign up for the newsletter at the bottom of this page:

https://www.radiomarine.org/

You can even get a T-shirt.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:10 pm

DONT FORGET, there are literally millions of individually owned and operated Amateur Radio Stations around the world.
They can use Morse code on the CW mode of transmission if they want to .
Thousands of those operators belong to various organizatons promoting the use of Morse Code on the air !

Most of us keep logbooks ( on paper or in computers), recording who we had contact with, time and dates, frequencies used and mode of tranmissioin.. Almost all of my radio conversations have used Morse Code over the last 10 years or more.
Before that my hearing was OK and I used some voice communicaions, but now I have trouble hearing speech, but the "Dahs and dits" are still heard fine.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:46 pm

k8jd wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:10 pm
... my hearing was OK and I used some voice communicaions, but now I have trouble hearing speech, but the "Dahs and dits" are still heard fine.
Mmm .... maybe I'll let the wife use my cpo. She claims I never hear what she's saying.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:09 pm

I'm not very proficient at copying Morse Code. I sometimes DX the LW beacons. It can be rewarding. They always ID. That's all they do, in slow Morse Code.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:20 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:09 pm
I'm not very proficient at copying Morse Code. I sometimes DX the LW beacons. It can be rewarding. They always ID. That's all they do, in slow Morse Code.
If you're interested in learning, I think this is a pretty good way. Do one audio lesson a day. In a few months, you'll be a pro at copying code:

https://www.hero.radio/code-course

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:11 pm

Those NDB beacons were my first Morse practice signals when I was about 13 years old! Back in the stone age !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic