Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

0.10 miles from cellular antennas and interference

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Marcus

0.10 miles from cellular antennas and interference

Post by Marcus » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:21 pm

I was trying to get stable TV reception from the inside of an apartment building that is only 0.10 from another building that has those cell phone antennas on the roof. They came in off and on. I was using an inexpensive amplified antenna. I am wondering if a passive antenna + an LTE filter would work better in that situation. There is no long cable run or splitter being used, so an RF amp seems pointless.

BTW: I determined the distance from this link.

https://www.freemaptools.com/measure-distance.htm

Round Six

Re: 0.10 miles from cellular antennas and interference

Post by Round Six » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:30 am

Marcus wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:21 pm
I was trying to get stable TV reception from the inside of an apartment building that is only 0.10 from another building that has those cell phone antennas on the roof. They came in off and on. I was using an inexpensive amplified antenna. I am wondering if a passive antenna + an LTE filter would work better in that situation. There is no long cable run or splitter being used, so an RF amp seems pointless.

BTW: I determined the distance from this link.

https://www.freemaptools.com/measure-distance.htm
You saying it comes on and off makes me ponder if what you are hearing is your own cell doing the handshake.
I used to have a cordless house phone and I could hear that handshake on it.

Another thought is knock up a low pass filter. Figure out the highest OTAR TV freq, and make just over that the cutoff.
Third thought is do you need the amp? Do you hear the interference with the amp off?
And fourthly I wonder if you are actually hearing cell phone stuff. Maybe there's some SCADA or paging going on.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:16 pm

I am wondering if a passive antenna + an LTE filter would work better in that situation. There is no long cable run or splitter being used, so an RF amp seems pointless.
How far away are the TV stations you wish to view located?
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:22 pm

WADL TV is 39 miles away from that location, and it is difficult to receive. WDIV is the one that tends to be the first one to come in, due to a taller broadcast tower. The two bridges between the U.S/Canada border are southwest of that location, so that might not help.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic