Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

FM Antenna Price Inflation and Performance Deflation?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Ben Zonia

FM Antenna Price Inflation and Performance Deflation?

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:58 pm

This one is $90 at Walmart. One source claimed just 5.5 dBi maximum gain with it for FM. If accurate, that's just 3.35 dBd. A well designed 3 element one should be better than that. Why does anyone quote dBi anyway? It seems that it's deliberately deceptive. Especially since there is no such thing as an isotropic antenna. The smallest oscillating electromagnetic molecular dipole is directional, with minima on the axis of vibration, and the maximum is perpendicular to it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FM-Antenna-H ... xcQAvD_BwE

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

HD74

Re: FM Antenna Price Inflation and Performance Deflation?

Post by HD74 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:05 pm

Those used to be available at MCM Electronics for $19.99.
Wish they were still in business.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:32 pm

The Antennacraft/Archer FM-6 used to be $16.95 at Radio Shack. According to modeling, it has 5.0-6.3 dBd across the band (7.15-8.45 dBi). So the gain may be accurate for the three element, but still overpriced.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:37 pm

The Stellar Labs 30-2460 averages $45.00 online. 4.5-5.0 dBd (6.65-7.15 dBi) Stock according to modeling.

-Author Unknown

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:22 pm

There are better prices available here and there, but remember: certainly less than 1 in 100 people would even understand what its for, and even a sliver of those would have an interest in purchasing and installing an outdoor directional "FM" antenna. I have RF in every cell of my old body, but I simply don't bother anymore. Streaming is easier. "Supply Chain" problems are bad enough with popular products.

Further, look at the popularity of the junk in-home TV antennas. They appeal to the lazy guy that wants to cut the cord, and is easily buffaloed by the advertising that such units will magically "pull in" distant signals. Would you like to be Wineguard making a line of decent outdoor antennas and have to compete against that? I wouldn't.

I experience the same thing trying to specify to clients quality 150-160 and 450-470 MHz base antennas. The good old standbys, like PD455s, PD200s, DB220s and DB420s are very hard to find and very expensive if you can. Cheaper 3-5 dB gain white sticks even more so. The professional radio market has simply dried up with most businesses using mobile telephones and most states / counties / CVTs using trunked 800 MHz systems.

It only makes sense to build things that will sell, and if sales will be low, the remaining NOS will be expensive.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:54 pm

DIY antennas are my thing. But the price of wire, coax, twinlead, light metal tubing, and various insulators , have gone out of reach with the current economy. I am starting to forget "L in Ft = 468/F in MHz" !

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:55 pm

Most the best tuners have been long discontinued, so this does not surprise me. The antenna in the photo looks like the Clear ConX that I own. The difference is that mine is 300 ohms, and the Walmart item says that theirs is 75 ohms. The brand ClearConX seems to have disappeared. They also had an 8 element FM antenna.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic