Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hum in am signal

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
bobhuge

Hum in am signal

Post by bobhuge » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:55 am

Ok peeps way smarter than me.

I have a am station. It has a hum. The circuit goes from out building, through a dry Pair to the tower. The hum isn't in my building...clean at exit. Once I hook it to the dry Pair, it hums. When I disconnect it from the dry pair at the tower, I check the input from the dry pair and it hums...so I know it's not in the tower building.

I say it's in the pair from the phone company...am I wrong?

Round Six

Re: Hum in am signal

Post by Round Six » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:08 pm

bobhuge wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:55 am
Ok peeps way smarter than me.

I have a am station. It has a hum. The circuit goes from out building, through a dry Pair to the tower. The hum isn't in my building...clean at exit. Once I hook it to the dry Pair, it hums. When I disconnect it from the dry pair at the tower, I check the input from the dry pair and it hums...so I know it's not in the tower building.

I say it's in the pair from the phone company...am I wrong?
Three suggestions:

1. If your dry pair has a ground or shield tied down at both ends, lift one and see if it goes away.
2. Any chance some new power cable has been laid close to your dry cable and inducing?
3. Check power supplies for AC ripple.

These are the first three things that come to mind.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:46 am

There won't be shield, it's telco dry pair. The console/AudioProcessor shield can be floated at transformer.
There should be a 600:600 ohm transformer at each end of dry pair or else it will hum like crazy.

Like this:
Console---600:600---DryPair---600:600---AudioProcessor---Transmitter
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:29 pm

I will check for that transformer. Thank you

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:23 pm

If you have line of sight from the tower to the studio, a microwave STL would eliminate all of these issues. One of our stations had a 42 mile microwave STL and it was trouble free.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:58 am

I have worked with remote controlled Two Way Radio base stations with telco links for 4 decades+ and even a high resistance leakage on one side of a DC pair can induce hum into the audio. A "split pair" with one wire from one twisted pair in a cable, to the other wire from a different pair connected in error on a cable connection block, same result hum.
We used to say "if you can't find the problem, it's the Telco's fault". That was often the case !

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:41 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:23 pm
If you have line of sight from the tower to the studio, a microwave STL would eliminate all of these issues. One of our stations had a 42 mile microwave STL and it was trouble free.
Can you tell us any more details on that 42 mile path? Was it in Michigan? Unless it's at the top of on a 1000+ foot tower, I can't see a 42 mile path working without fadeouts, and that's probably not a clear Fresnel Zone, causing more path signal loss and fading. I can see maybe the transmit and receive antennas on mountaintops with nothing substantial in between, maybe in the Rockies, working well.

Rich studied a path between the WIOG tower in Indiantown, and in the highlands along US 23 South of Fenton, which was about that distance, and though it was LOS, and a pretty good path, the Fresnel Zone was partially blocked. Plus it's 102.5 MHz, not microwaves.

With Microwaves, it's all about the specific path, the elevation of the antennas at both ends, and the terrain profile.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

djb

Post by djb » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:42 pm

While off topic from the OPs post, I'm curious about this WIOG path between Indiantown and Fenton. (Reasoning?)

Also got me thinking about some other STLs; WCEN for example. 35.12 miles, according to points on Google Earth.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:13 pm

Colonel Flagg brought up a 42 mile STL link. Without details of the path, that doesn't tell us much.

The elevation of the WIOG site is 587 feet AMSL. The elevation of one tower site South of Fenton is 1151 feet AMSL, which is 564 feet higher than a spherical earth based on the AMSL of the WIOG site. The elevation of the path in between the two sites also enters into the prediction.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:32 am

djb wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:42 pm
While off topic from the OPs post, I'm curious about this WIOG path between Indiantown and Fenton. (Reasoning?)

Also got me thinking about some other STLs; WCEN for example. 35.12 miles, according to points on Google Earth.
It looks to me like the STL to WCEN is at the top of the 400 foot WGER tower on Tittabawassee Road, and the receive is at the top of the nearly 1000 foot WCEN tower near Coleman. The terrain goes up gradually about 160 feet toward WCEN, so you could say the tower is effectively close to 1150 feet with respect to a spherical earth model at the elevation of the WGER tower.

It used to be that STL antennas were often mounted not that high on towers, but I see that there are now many at the top of very tall towers, apparently to maximize Fresnel Zone clearance and reduce fading. Line of Sight alone isn't good enough. This is probably due to faster computers and availability of Longley Rice software and detailed terrain and obstruction databases, including seasonal deciduous tree obstruction variations.

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic