Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WCXI shenanigans

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

WCXI shenanigans

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:55 am

As of 6:40a this morning, there's no doubt in my mind they are running daytime power & pattern (15,000 watts) as opposed to their nighttime power & pattern (400 watts).

Ben Zonia

Re: WCXI shenanigans

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:54 am

From some other reports on another board, giving them the benefit of the doubt, there might be a computer clock issue from the recent power failure, which affected much of Oakland County. I say this as the DX reports were from another station they heard that transmits from Oakland County.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:15 pm

That is a definite possibility, but I think just about everyone has had power restored for a good 10 days by now.

The other thought that crossed my mind is perhaps something got screwed up in conjunction with the switch to daylight savings time, but it seems to me that sort of screw-up would cause the station to remain on night power longer than required in the early morning (as opposed to the station already being on daytime power prior to sunrise).

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:35 pm

If no one reported it, or no one was out there that noticed, the computer clock would have been reset for 12:00 if the backup battery has run down or hasn't been replaced, each time there was a power interruption. Listeners won't know what is happening, they only know that they hear more or less "static" than usual.

There is another station in Michigan that has been on or off of full power for weeks. Yesterday, after a few days at or near full power, I checked the pattern and power change with the FIM-41, and the Day/Night FI ratio was exactly what it should be.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:01 pm

They have been airing Brother Stair for almost a year now 24/7 I believe. I actually heard them in Bowling Green Ohio the other day, I noticed that they were running legal ID's about every 15 minutes or so. Not sure how I listened to that yelling and screeching for so long. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz3ChfC4n_k

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:08 pm

Such a waste of a decent signal.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic