Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Would This AM Hybrid Be Possible?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Ben Zonia

Would This AM Hybrid Be Possible?

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:19 pm

Would it be possible, in your opinion, to broadcast a hybrid system with Motorola AM Stereo AND short intermittent digital packets with RDS type information, preferably detectable by IBOC capable radios? Legal and Patent negotiation would probably be the biggest obstacle, more than the Laws of Thermodynamics and other Physics and Engineering.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

WOHO

Re: Would This AM Hybrid Be Possible?

Post by WOHO » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:30 pm

Talked to a former Motorola employee who worked on CQUAM, and he said the CQUAM patent is free for use, so this could be possible. I had read that one of the original clustercluck of 4 or 5 AM stereo system that the FCC wouldn't decide on for 15 years, could use their (25Hz) pilot, or another very low frequency 'tones' to send slow data on the phase modulated signal. At a minimum, it was to have send out the AM stations call letters, but with new technology, I would think you could almost have RDS on AM stations. I'll have to see if I can dig out my old books about it, but someone did propose that (I hope it wasn't Leonard "Sue-Everybody" Kahn)? I like that plan much better than MA3 iBloc digital that is incompatible with any old school radio. That "AM-RDS" system would only have to be compatible with existing AM tuners, but I would think you could argue that it wouldn't have to be totally unnoticed on the old envelope detector style AM? That was one of the sticking points for Kahn and other AM systems was relatively minor audio distortion on diode detectors and only Motorola and Harris had really nice audio frequency response for an AM tuner with a decent I.F. filter. I had a 50KW in KY and TN received in NW Ohio using the '2nd' Harris system, and it was nice stereo audio at night. WSM using CQUAM was da bomb with the G.O.O. Saturday nights.

audiophile

Re: Would This AM Hybrid Be Possible?

Post by audiophile » Sat May 07, 2022 8:11 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:19 pm
Would it be possible, in your opinion, to broadcast a hybrid system with Motorola AM Stereo AND short intermittent digital packets with RDS type information, preferably detectable by IBOC capable radios? Legal and Patent negotiation would probably be the biggest obstacle, more than the Laws of Thermodynamics and other Physics and Engineering.
I think so. It takes a bit for HD to kick in.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic