Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Praise for the FM RX with my CCradio 3

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
n8fnr

Praise for the FM RX with my CCradio 3

Post by n8fnr » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:37 pm

The CCradio3 has an amazing FM receiver. I can listen to CBC Radio 1, CBEW, running 2.3 - 13K ERP 27 miles south of me. Now that does not really sound that remarkable right? Well right below it is WXYT, 97.1 which is in HDRadio, is 3 miles away and running 15K ERP. Right above it is WJLB, 97.9 which also in HDRadio running 50K ERP and is 7 miles away. So here is little CBEW squeezed between two HDRadio stations near me and I can receive it full strength. Oh and to top it off our house has a metal roof and metal siding.

I really wish that the CCRadio3 had RDS, a real handle and more memories but that is another story.

Turkeytop

Re: Praise for the FM RX with my CCradio 3

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:35 pm

They're a nice radio. I've never had the pleasure of trying one. I have so many radios already it' would be hard to justify getting one more.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

n8fnr

Post by n8fnr » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:52 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:35 pm
They're a nice radio. I've never had the pleasure of trying one. I have so many radios already it' would be hard to justify getting one more.
Is this too many? I have a Flex-6400 ham SDR and a Kenwood stereo hooked up to it for the audio out, 4 HT's (DMR, FM only, Fusion and D-Star), a CCradio 3, Sangean HDR-14 and HDR 16, a Denon stereo, 2 Sony ICF-S5W's, a Sony stereo (has the worst FM RX I have ever heard), 2 Grace internet radios and a Boston Acoustics radio.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:07 pm

n8fnr wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:52 pm

Is this too many? I have a Flex-6400 ham SDR and a Kenwood stereo hooked up to it for the audio out, 4 HT's (DMR, FM only, Fusion and D-Star), a CCradio 3, Sangean HDR-14 and HDR 16, a Denon stereo, 2 Sony ICF-S5W's, a Sony stereo (has the worst FM RX I have ever heard), 2 Grace internet radios and a Boston Acoustics radio.
It's getting there, but I have several more. Most of mine are Sangean or Grundig. A lot of them are duplicates and I keep one of each in Florida,

My main everyday desk top radio here at home is a Palstar R30 A .

My main radio in Florida is a Grundig Sat 750

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:59 pm

The CCradio3 has an amazing FM receiver. I can listen to CBC Radio 1, CBEW, running 2.3 - 13K ERP 27 miles south of me. Now that does not really sound that remarkable right? Well right below it is WXYT, 97.1 which is in HDRadio, is 3 miles away and running 15K ERP. Right above it is WJLB, 97.9 which also in HDRadio running 50K ERP and is 7 miles away.
That is indeed quite good for a tabletop radio.

How well does it handle reception of CJWF 95.9 from Windsor?

I can pick up CJWF remarkably well on all my receivers indoors, and I live less than 4 miles north of the WKQI tower. CBEW requires a little more fancy footwork with positioning of the wire antenna or of the receiver, but is also doable for me.

If you were to tell me you can pick up 102.9 FM W4 from Ann Arbor reliably on that thing from your location, I would be truly impressed. :hat

CBEW has one of the more unique signal patterns I've ever seen from a directional FM station that is licensed as a protected FM facility. Its signal is prone to picket fencing along the Lodge Freeway on Detroit's NW side, probably due to a combination of that roadway largely being below grade level, the high-rise buildings in midtown and downtown Detroit that sit between the receive location and CBEW's TX site, and the close proximity of WJLB's tower.

https://www.fccdata.org/?lang=en&canfm=CBEW-FM

The prices I see online for a Grundig Sat 750 are insanely expensive, turkeytop!

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:21 am

You can get both an Eton Satellite 750 and an Eton Elite Mini, a decent small pocket portable, as a package deal for $400. I had to send the first one back because the S meter wouldn’t budge, and I couldn’t find a warranty repair place and couldn’t get through to the manufacturer. I thought the Toronto office might help, but the only number was an 800 type number that didn’t work in the US.

The AMBC performance is very good, but not as good as an RF-2200. It has a rotatable ferrite rod, and an external loop input. The SW performance is better than I’ve ever had before, especially on SSB. It has a good array of audio inputs and outputs, and impedance matched external antenna inputs for AM FM SW, and an internal external antenna switch.

The FMBC sensitivity is very good, but the selectivity is not as good as DSP or IFs with additional ceramic filters. There should be a Super Narrow selectivity option like that.

You could use it as a Stereo Tuner with the Phono plug outputs, or plug your smart phone or Alexa into the line in jack, but it’s not as good as a receiver amplifier.
Last edited by Ben Zonia on Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:49 am

When I got my Sat 750 at Universal Radio, they threw in the Mini as a bonus.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic