Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Got My GMRS License

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Calvert DeForest

Got My GMRS License

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:29 am

Finally took the plunge and dropped the 70 bones on the application last week. FCC issued my calls the next day. Got a Radioddity GM-30 5W GMRS with repeater capability. The radio also receives VHF and UHF bands outside the GMRS spectrum, so I can listen to 2M Ham. There are two GMRS repeaters in my area....one in Lansing, another in Eagle. They're not connected to any regional nets, and so far I haven't received a response to my requests for a radio check, but the squelch-back tells me the radio is connecting at least.

Next step is to swap out the 6" stock rubber-duck antenna for a 15-inch whip (which arrives tomorrow). From what I've read, that should give a little boost to my range. Testing the thing up top our local sledding hill with some height and line-of-sight clearance probably won't hurt either.

Cool thing is I found some Zello channels that link to various local GMRS repeaters around the country. Most are open-access regardless of operator location provided you have the license.

Ham is next. I just have to dedicate the time to that.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

audiophile

Re: Got My GMRS License

Post by audiophile » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:34 pm

Cool!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:20 pm

Years ago I had a GMRS license since the guys I worked for had a couple of repeaters for hire. I was offered a spot on one. I think my callsign was
KAE0106. I had a mobile in my car and a control station (base) sitting on top of the refrigerator at the house. I could be in touch with the wife and sons any time I was on the road for work. * I had basket cases for radios, that I spent hours after the shop closed getting back in operation!
Have been a Ham since my teens but unlicensed people can't use that, and I never got family interested enough to take the courses and exam.
GMRS license covers all members of a family !
*(Back then Cellphones mounted in the trunk and had a dashboard handset. cost about $ 2500 plus a monthly bill !)

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:38 am

Initially I was going to wait until the GMRS license fee dropped to $35, which is supposed to happen sometime, although according to the FCC, it won't be until sometime next year. Decided just to pay the 70 bucks now. Works out to $7 a year, which is more than affordable for something the whole family can use.

Sent from my moto e (XT2052DL) using Tapatalk

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:50 pm

I believe that might be an unlicensed class in Canada. Some FRS radios cover the GMRS band. But I've never heard of any licensing requirement to use it.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:56 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:50 pm
I believe that might be an unlicensed class in Canada. Some FRS radios cover the GMRS band. But I've never heard of any licensing requirement to use it.
GMRS is license free in Canada. There are three differences:
1. Radios must be Industry Canada approved.
2. Radio is limited to 2 watts TX.
3. Everything is simplex. No repeaters.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:52 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:50 pm
GMRS is license free in Canada. There are three differences:
1. Radios must be Industry Canada approved.
2. Radio is limited to 2 watts TX.
3. Everything is simplex. No repeaters.
That would be more on-par with the 2017 rule changes in the States. FRS radios can transmit up to 2 watts license-free, up from 500 milliwatts max prior to the new rules. Channels 8-14 are still limited to half a watt regardless of FRS or GMRS transmission. GMRS radios with license can transmit up to 5 watts on channels 1-7, and up to 50 watts on channels 15-22, all simplex. Channels 23-30 are reserved for half-duplex GMRS repeater operation up to 50 watts (those aren't available on license-free FRS units). Handheld GMRS units are capped at 5 watts transmit. Mobile and base units can use up to 50 on the allotted channels.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:14 pm

So, if I use here in Canada, a handheld unit I buy in the US, I will be operating illegally?

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:08 pm

Turkeytop wrote:So, if I use here in Canada, a handheld unit I buy in the US, I will be operating illegally?
Not sure if "Industry Canada approved" means the radio has to be purchased in Canada. I would guess as long as it meets legal requirements there, it should be good. The Canadian GMRS requirements outlined match those for unlicensed FRS radios sold in the U.S.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:20 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:14 pm
So, if I use here in Canada, a handheld unit I buy in the US, I will be operating illegally?
I'm thinking no.
First reason would be power. A radio from the states would put out more power than you are allowed.

Your GMRS handheld can't have a detachable antenna. Handhelds in the states can use aftermarket higher gain antennas.

Also, unlike here in the states, you are not permitted to use a mobile or base radio on GMRS, regardless of how much it puts out

Two watt handhelds with a molded antenna that can't come off. That's it

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:09 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:20 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:14 pm
I'm thinking no.
First reason would be power. A radio from the states would put out more power than you are allowed.

Your GMRS handheld can't have a detachable antenna. Handhelds in the states can use aftermarket higher gain antennas.

Also, unlike here in the states, you are not permitted to use a mobile or base radio on GMRS, regardless of how much it puts out

Two watt handhelds with a molded antenna that can't come off. That's it

So, it looks like you're saying a unit from US would be illegal in Canada, because it exceeds Canada's technical limitations

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:43 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:09 am
So, it looks like you're saying a unit from US would be illegal in Canada, because it exceeds Canada's technical limitations
Yes. A radio from the US would transmit more than 2 watts and have a detachable antenna. Neither allowed with a GMRS handheld type accepted by Industry Canada.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:23 pm

Sounds like another CB craze.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:33 pm

Maybe CB but on UHF, without the world wide DX capabilities of 11 Meters .
And with the possibility of using repeaters on tall towers and rooftops on office buildings and high points to extend range.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:35 pm

Is getting a license just a matter of paying a fee? Or is there a test?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic