Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Got My GMRS License

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Deleted User 14896

Re: Got My GMRS License

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:03 am

paul8539 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:23 pm
Sounds like another CB craze.
11 meters may get interesting again. You may of heard already. The FCC is going to allow FM with pl/dpl on CB channels.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:09 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:35 pm
Is getting a license just a matter of paying a fee? Or is there a test?
The current GMRS license fee is $70. No exam required. The license is good for 10 years and covers everyone in your immediate family (spouse, kids, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles & in-laws). The FCC has approved a fee reduction to $35, but no exact timetable on when the new fee will be implemented. Last I heard it would be after the first of the year.

The license allows operators to use GMRS handhelds with up to 5-watt transmit power. Base and mobile units can transmit up to 50 watts on designated channels. Operators can also access GMRS repeaters where available. The FCC issues a call sign with the license. Licensed operators must identify their call sign at the beginning and end of each conversation, and every 15 minutes during if the conversation exceeds that time. The exception would be low-power transmissions capped at 2 watts, which qualify as license-free FRS.

Channels 1-22 are shared between GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service). GMRS operators can transmit up to 5 watts on channels 1-7, and up to 50 watts on channels 15-22, plus the eight separate repeater channels. Channels 8-14 are designated low-power, with 2-watt maximum transmit regardless of license status. GMRS transceivers will only use low power on those channels. FRS transceivers are limited to 2 watts on all shared channels, with no access to the repeater channels. Since FRS doesn't require a license, there are no call signs associated with it.
Last edited by Calvert DeForest on Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:45 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:03 am
paul8539 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:23 pm
Sounds like another CB craze.
11 meters may get interesting again. You may of heard already. The FCC is going to allow FM with pl/dpl on CB channels.
The clash between AM and FM on the Citizens Band will be interesting to say the least. The new radios can utilize either. AM and FM transmissions on the same channels have the potential to create quite the traffic jam, as the modes are incompatible with each other. Glad I held on to my 30 year-old Radio Shack handheld CB. :razz

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic