Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

104.7 WKJC off the air...instead I pick up WIOT (Toledo)

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
bmw

104.7 WKJC off the air...instead I pick up WIOT (Toledo)

Post by bmw » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:28 pm

It is very rare for WKJC to be off the air, and in its place while driving through Tawas I was picking up traces of WIOT out of Toledo - heard a definite station ID and a Bob and Tom promo.

This was a surprising catch considering that dx from Toledo on other frequencies is extremely rare up here and further considering that the FM dial was otherwise mostly free of any dx while I was listening.

Ben Zonia

Re: 104.7 WKJC off the air...instead I pick up WIOT (Toledo)

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:55 pm

Is WQLB 103.3 on the air?

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:21 pm

They were off as well.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:44 pm

That would indicate a possible power issue.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:40 pm

WIOT actually has a very strong signal. It can be picked up in Detroit on occasion as well as Chatham-Kent, Ontario.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:07 pm

Actually, at full Class C2 facilities, 50 kW/150 meters HAAT, WKJC also has a very strong signal, which can often be heard in SE Michigan. Because of some Lake effects, WKJC 104.7, WLEW 102.1, WHNN 96.1, CKNX 101.7, and a few others, are often really strong like that, and perhaps WIOT 104.7 is also due to Lake Erie. What is and isn't heard depends on the milieu of local stations, which near larger cities, have IBOC sidebands that also blot out two first adjacent channels. This makes even the McIntosh MR-80 as useless as cheap radios on those channels. WQLB 103.3 and WSAG 104.1 would even often be heard in Southeast Michigan on an MR-80 before IBOC.

-Author Unknown

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:27 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:07 pm
Actually, at full Class C2 facilities, 50 kW/150 meters HAAT, WKJC also has a very strong signal, which can often be heard in SE Michigan. Because of some Lake effects, WKJC 104.7, WLEW 102.1, WHNN 96.1, CKNX 101.7, and a few others, are often really strong like that, and perhaps WIOT 104.7 is also due to Lake Erie.
Lake? Water? Radio? Hello! This is my thing! My two cents on this anyway.

First, WIOT does have a strong signal, regardless of any water nearby. However, I have to admit it's more than likely heard in that area because of a lack of other signals on the frequency that are of stronger power. Like what was said, there are a variety of reasons one station might seem to get out while others don't or why you hear just one with a lack of propagation otherwise and sometimes just being a simple open frequency is to blame, especially if you have a local turn off, you know it's an otherwise open frequency because your local station - assuming it is actually on - is being protected by other stations by FCC rules. So it's likely not water-related in this case.

Interestingly, WIOT isn't much of a signal over Lake Erie OR Lake Huron, whereas 101.5 Toledo certainly is. While I don't yet have all my pages online (content finished, but not uploaded), you can note the absence of WIOT at my Long Point site, my Evangola site, my Erie site, and others. While there are closer stations on 104.7 at those sites, a higher-power station like WIOT, if it's there, it WOULD be heard in a null. In addition, I checked the maps of all my other sites, and I have a good 20 along Lake Huron/Georgian Bay shores and more on Lake Erie, and WIOT doesn't show up at ANY of them at all, aside from Sandusky, Rondeau Park, Detroit (downtown), Cleveland - all areas where WIOT would be expected on a local/semi-local basis without propagation. If it were a station that regularly got out via the lakes, and 104.7 Tawas IS - that station ROARS across Lake Huron like nothing else - it would show up on my maps from years of listening on the beaches. But alas, nope.

Therefore, I believe it's just there because of Tawas' absence. Here in Fremont, WIOT is a regular as well at 180 miles. It doesn't take much to hear them, though it's an IBOC frequency.

As Ben said about the other stations, he is very much correct. The mentioned stations are just a few that are big ones across the water. Most of these are noted at my sites in Killbear, Awenda, Killarney, even Collingwood, etc. on the Georgian Bay side. WRVM is another that is common over there too at 400 miles. Anyone who wishes to see reception maps for those sites, just give a shout out and I'll post them as I haven't typed up and organized the webpages for them quite yet, so they're not online. In the meantime, you can also see the normal lake-influenced signals in the 50 maps here.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic