Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

QSL Listing Ham Radio Callsigns At WTRX In 1965

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Ben Zonia

QSL Listing Ham Radio Callsigns At WTRX In 1965

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun May 16, 2021 12:15 pm

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Turkeytop

Re: QSL Listing Ham Radio Callsigns At WTRX In 1965

Post by Turkeytop » Sun May 16, 2021 9:11 pm

How many small town stations today would have that many hams on staff?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sun May 16, 2021 9:28 pm

K8MKN is Ed Busch, who also worked at CKLW, WKNR (AM and FM sides) and WWWW (Detroit).
Also used air name "Edward Alan Busch."
I recall crossing paths with him briefly, when he was a grad student at WSU.
Ed left Detroit for Texas, and went on to become a very popular radio personality in the Dallas-Ft. Worth market (KLIF, WFAA, KTNS), hosted a national call-in show, and was the first inductee into the Texas Radio Hall of Fame.

His Ham Radio autobio is available to read at QRZ.com. Enter K8MKN in the callsign search field.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon May 17, 2021 12:28 am

K8MBD and K8LPB are listed in Fenton.

K8MKN has a Lincoln Park address.

Can't locate K8GUD.

Quite a few well known personalities and engineers passed through WTRX. John Landecker (Dow Jones), Ken Sands (Motown Recording Engineer, K8TFD), Jim Hampton (Producer), Joey Reynolds, and Wally Kennedy (Big talker in Philadelphia and Atlanta) are a few. Don Mayle ended up owning several stations. As I recall, there were six engineers in the 1960s. They threatened to go on strike, and the owner cut back to two.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Mon May 17, 2021 2:29 pm

A lot of old callsigns get re-issued when expired for some years .

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon May 17, 2021 7:16 pm

The information I found was from a 1960 Callbook online.born

Here's the information on Ken Sands, born Vincent Kenneth Shensky.

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/mar ... hats-going

Many air personalities got ham licenses along with Radiotelephone licenses back in the day. You may not recognize the name Clarence H. Weber, silent key W9FFB. But many more remember him as Clark Weber, Chicago radio personality. Most people remember him from WLS and WCFL, but he worked at several other stations in Chicago and Eastern Wisconsin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark_Weber

-Author Unknown

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon May 17, 2021 9:41 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:28 am
K8MBD and K8LPB are listed in Fenton.

K8MKN has a Lincoln Park address.

Can't locate K8GUD.
Per the FCC ULS, Ed Busch, K8MKN, renewed his Advanced Class license in 2017, with an address in Mabank, Texas. He was in Lincoln Park, back in a 1961 Radio Amateur Call Book.

The K8GUD, K8LPB and K8MBD callsigns are not held by anyone at present.

I used to occasionally be in a morning drive 2 Meter FM roundtable group which Ken Sands K8TFD often joined. Also worked with him on a couple of different occasions. As expected, marvelous stories about early Motown sessions he engineered.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Tue May 18, 2021 11:58 am

I also knew Ken Sands from conversations on the Amateur bands over the years and I had visited WLIN in my many journeys to visit many local radio stations to chat with the engineers before my move to Chicago and actually working in broadcast radio.
Didn't Ken have some connection with the Palace of Aurburn Hills, re the Audio systems there ?
It was also interesting hearing a brief line about Mike McLean from Motown too in the article. I met him when he was a teenager who lived a couple houses down from my uncle's house in Detroit. I visited there often and he showed me the audio rack he was building and also a motorscooter he built with another neighbor . Yes Many talents !

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue May 18, 2021 1:03 pm

k8jd wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:58 am
Didn't Ken have some connection with the Palace of Aurburn Hills, re the Audio systems there ?
Yes, Ken worked audio for in-house at the Palace (games and events), and for Palace Productions. He was one of a number of local freelancers who was in the crew rotation there.

In the mid-2000s, Sands worked helping to set up WRCJ-FM's studio when it first moved in to its space in the Detroit School of Arts.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Wed May 19, 2021 12:24 pm

:D I know where the transmitters are but not the studios for most ot the Radio stations :shock:

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed May 19, 2021 3:37 pm

Clarence E. Ringo, W8HQO, had an Inkster address in 1960.

-Author Unknown

SolarMax

Re: QSL Listing Ham Radio Callsigns At WTRX In 1965 - K8TFD SK

Post by SolarMax » Sun May 23, 2021 7:44 pm

We've been discussing names and callsigns here the past few days.
I just found out that the aforementioned Ken Sands, K8TFD, passed away last week.
He had a 60' tower with a triband yagi at his Plymouth home, that his son, also a ham, will need to have taken down & removed. PM if interested I can pass along his contact info.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic