Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MW DX

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

MW DX

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:39 pm

CBC Radio 1 Network has mostly moved to the FM band. One of their remaining AM transmitters is 560 KHZ in Dawson City Yukon.

Recently, the station received a reception report from a DXer in Finland. Northern Canada and Northern Finland are in darkness most of the day at this time of year.

The listener sent an audio clip of his reception. They played it on the radio today. It was weak and a little noisy but it was intelligible.
The magic of AM radio...

A listener in Finland picked up CBC's AM signal broadcasting from Dawson City and sent us this note:
--------------
-
-
-

"My name is Antti Aaltonen, I'm a 53-year-old lawyer and radio enthusiast from Finland. I am proud to inform you that one of the stations of CBC Yukon, CBDN Dawson City (560 AM) came in loud and clear here in Finland in late October. Even though I did not manage to hear any local content produced in Yukon (I just heard programming from CBC Radio One), I was extremely thrilled to realize that the signal I heard came all the way from Dawson City, the legendary historical center of the Gold Rush! According to all available sources, CBDN is the only remaining CBC station on 560 AM! Here are the details:

I had the great pleasure of picking up radio station CBDN (Dawson City) broadcasting the programming of CBC Radio One on a frequency of 560 AM on early Sunday morning, the 29th of October 2017 at 1.56 a.m. – 2.05 a.m. P.D.T. (Pacific Daylight Time). I'm pleased to tell you that your signal was quite strong and clear - considering the H*** distance between us (and also keeping in mind the relatively low power of the transmitter).

The receiver I used was a JRC NRD-535 communications receiver and the antenna was - believe it or not - an approximately 1000-meter-long wire directed towards your part of the world. The wire runs through a forest on branches of trees. These long wires work beautifully on the AM band due to their directional qualities. I picked up CBDN during a listening trip to the Arctic parts of Finland (approximately 250 kilometers north of the Arctic Circle). For several reasons the reception of North American radio stations is considerably better in the Arctic than in the Southern parts of Finland (where I live).

Thanks a lot for the programming! It really was a H*** pleasure to be able to pick up your station. It’s a pity that the reception was possible for only such a short while – I would have stayed with pleasure in your company for a longer time.
Picking up distant radio stations has been my favorite hobby ever since I was only 11 years old. I must admit that the various regional stations of the CBC have always been my favorite stations: I enjoy the high quality programming very much and when reception conditions are favorable, the reception quality may be excellent (unfortunately many CBC stations have disappeared from the AM band). During my "career" as a radio enthusiast I have managed to obtain written confirmations of reception from around 2100 different radio stations in all parts of the world! Your confirmation would be a valuable addition to this collection.

As I told you earlier, I picked up your station in the extreme North of Finland. I spent one week in a small house in the middle of nowhere just listening to distant AM stations (mostly from North America). The name of the place is Lemmenjoki, which translated into English means "Love River"! Reindeer are the most common animals up there. Spending a week in the Arctic just sitting and keeping your headphones on may sound totally crazy, but I thoroughly enjoyed the time. It's a great way to get some distance to work."
https://www.facebook.com/cbcyukon/posts ... 229190882/

Dawson City is 4109 miles from Niceville

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

tapeisrolling

Re: MW DX

Post by tapeisrolling » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:42 pm

This is a good listen. I remember the original show and now it's available online. These guys listen to all kinds of AM stations worldwide in the Winter.

https://jonathanmarks.libsyn.com/media_ ... ition_1996

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:04 pm

tapeisrolling wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:42 pm
This is a good listen. I remember the original show and now it's available online. These guys listen to all kinds of AM stations worldwide in the Winter.

https://jonathanmarks.libsyn.com/media_ ... ition_1996
Thanks for posting that.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:35 pm

About my best MW DXing was done when on a Hawaiian vacation , on the Big Island.
I had my GE Superradio out in the middle of a golf course late at night and could hear stations in BC, Canada and in Australia ! Also heard a 5 kW statio in American Samoa !

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:48 pm

My best MW DX from here at home was Trans World Radio in Bonaire. But it was always competing with CKLW for dominance on the frequency and was unlistenable.

My best, verified MW DX would be KFI in LA and KSL in Salt Lake City.

When we were in Mexico, in the Cancun area. I was picking up US stations from around the gulf coast on a Sangean portable.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:39 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:48 pm
<snip>

When we were in Mexico, in the Cancun area. I was picking up US stations from around the gulf coast on a Sangean portable.
At night, or day and night?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:32 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:39 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:48 pm
<snip>

At night, or day and night?
At night. Mostly stations from FL and MS.

I was using my Sangean ATS 606, which serves as my travel radio. I accidentally knocked it off our second story balcony there. But it wasn't harmed. It's still my travel radio today, ten years later.

http://london.marknmel.com/albums/Radio ... .sized.jpg

fairbankshockeypuck

Post by fairbankshockeypuck » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:30 am

My biggest catch in Fairbanks Alaska every year when the dark and cold hits, is 1530 KFBK Sacramento CA, 2900 miles away. Great in F150 radio and on my Sangean ATS 405...

In Sarasota FL on vacation last year, WBT 1110 Charlotte NC boomed in the best over 750 WSB and 650 WSM....

fairbankshockeypuck

Post by fairbankshockeypuck » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:33 am

Straight line Sacramento to Fairbanks 2100 miles...2900 driving distance

Radiobingoking

Post by Radiobingoking » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:13 pm

On AM my greatest reaches were KNX and KFI on a old Spartan tube radio/record player while living in Detroit. Never heard an official ID, but heard a spot for the Southern California Muscular Dystrophy Association. In various cars I have heard KNBR on the roof of Cobo Hall on several occasions, and St. Lucia while driving on the Jefferies Freeway at the Southfield overpass. On a Realistic DX-150 heard PJB overriding CKLW in Livonia until CK signed off for maintenance. After that there was just PJB until they changed to a southern beam. On FM my personal record is listening to KILT until reaching the Cabela's in Dundee. On the Spartan radio, my mom told me that her dad was able to receive Germany at times in Royal Oak. Never was able to verify that.

John

If it aint country it aint music

fairbankshockeypuck

Post by fairbankshockeypuck » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:17 pm

I miss the DXing days in the midwest...Here in Alaska, streaming is my second best bet, but have noticed some stations have blocked out saying streaming not available in this location

Radio Chili

Post by Radio Chili » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:39 pm

WLW from Cincinnati still does REALLY well in Florida and Puerto Rico at night.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:38 pm

Radio Chili wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:39 pm

Yes. It's always reliable there.

One that surprises me is WSM from Nashville. They are about equally distant from here and to Florida. But their signal is usually better up here. And they have a non-directional pattern

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:40 pm

Radio Chili wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:39 pm
Back in the days when 1530 Cincinnati was an MYL/soft rock hybrid (which I absolutely LOVED), I was hearing a good signal on a barrier island in the Florida Panhandle - an hour and a half before sunset!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:01 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:40 pm

Back in the days when 1530 Cincinnati was an MYL/soft rock hybrid (which I absolutely LOVED), I was hearing a good signal on a barrier island in the Florida Panhandle - an hour and a half before sunset!

WCKY 1530 stlll does propagate well into Florida on winter nights. Where we stay, we have a local on 1520. I can see the tower lights from our place. But it's possible to null it out and listen to WCKY.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic