Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MW DX

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
k8jd

Re: MW DX

Post by k8jd » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:27 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:48 pm
My best MW DX from here at home was Trans World Radio in Bonaire. But it was always competing with CKLW for dominance on the frequency and was unlistenable.

My best, verified MW DX would be KFI in LA and KSL in Salt Lake City.

KSL was easy to hear in the 60's when WJJD in Chicago went off the air at sunset time in Salt lake city.
You could hear PJB on 800 at night with a portable with a large loopstick antenna in it. I used a GE SuperRadio with a really long internal ferrite antenna. You could turn the radio around to null out CKLW. I also could null out CBE on 1550 and hear the Bahamas station.
Listening in the NW subburbs of Detroit !

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:34 pm

k8jd wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:27 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:48 pm
My best MW DX from here at home was Trans World Radio in Bonaire. But it was always competing with CKLW for dominance on the frequency and was unlistenable.

My best, verified MW DX would be KFI in LA and KSL in Salt Lake City.

KSL was easy to hear in the 60's when WJJD in Chicago went off the air at sunset time in Salt lake city !
I also heard KFI for several nights, must have been in 1965 when I moved back to Detroit from a few years in Chicago, staying in my uncle's house in an attic spare bedroom . I had a '56 Ford car radio modified to run on AC/ from the filament windings of a 12 V TV power transformer . Had a lot of fun with that one.
You could hear PJB on 800 at night with a portable with a large loopstick antenna in it. I used a GE SuperRadio with a really long internal ferrite antenna. You could turn the radio around to null out CKLW. I also could null out CBE on 1550 and hear the Bahamas station.
Listening in the NW subburbs of Detroit !
I coud tell you how to mod a vibrator circuit of a tube type car radio but that's for another website !

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:03 pm

The last car we had with a tube car radio was a 1961 Oldsmobile, which we drove until 1965. We stayed a couple Summer vacations in a cottage on the South side of Crystal Lake. With the telescoping antenna fully extended, you could listen to WJR in the Daytime. I don't think the solid state radios were quite as good. Then around 1970, they went to the windshield antennas, which were a disaster as far as sensitivity. It took few years for the Delco GM engineers (and much later clients of mine) to figure out how to optimize this.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:47 pm

I frequently get WWL 870 New Orleans here in Michigan.

Rich F.

Post by Rich F. » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:04 am

CK-722 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:03 pm
... I don't think the solid state radios were quite as good. Then around 1970, they went to the windshield antennas, which were a disaster as far as sensitivity. It took few years for the Delco GM engineers (and much later clients of mine) to figure out how to optimize this.
For a more recent example based on the sensitivity of the "stock" radio in my 2016 Toyota Corolla that uses a set of wires embedded in its rear window — it can receive a useful, but noisy daytime signal from a TIS station on 530 kHz that is located at Mark Twain Lake in Missouri. This is possible even driving around on the streets of my small city in Illinois (pop. 41,000), at distances of 35+ miles from their transmit site. Their field intensity here is on the order of 50 µV/m.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:22 pm

RE Auto Radios
I have a Ford F150, several years old. It has a HD radio that sounds good on FM, stubby rooftop antenna that picks up Satellite, 3 ft whip on the side fender for terrestrial reception. .
On free sample days I get a few Sat channels but the audio quality was dissappointing.
The AM sensitivity is good enough to get the usual remaining clear channel signals from most of eastern N america, in the dark hours, but in the daytime, it is not good enough. I barely hear a few 10 kW signals in the "Extended AM Band".
MY GE SuperRadio portable hears 5 signals well in the "EXTENDED AM band" all day long.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:23 pm

Rich F. wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:04 am
CK-722 wrote:
... I don't think the solid state radios were quite as good. Then around 1970, they went to the windshield antennas, which were a disaster as far as sensitivity. It took few years for the Delco GM engineers (and much later clients of mine) to figure out how to optimize this.
For a more recent example based on the sensitivity of the "stock" radio in my 2016 Toyota Corolla that uses a set of wires embedded in its rear window — it can receive a useful, but noisy daytime signal from a TIS station on 530 kHz that is located at Mark Twain Lake in Missouri. This is possible even driving around on the streets of my small city in Illinois (pop. 41,000), at distances of 35+ miles from their transmit site. Their field intensity here is on the order of 50 µV/m.
I acknowledge that the GM engineers DID improve this greatly over the years. They just happened to come in to where I worked, two different times independently, and we talked quite a bit. I suspect a lot of patents in association with GM Delco eventually found their way into most stock car radios. The aftermarket radios have been heavily into FM sections at the expense of AM, and most weren't as good RF wise as Delco.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:10 pm

CK-722 wrote:
The last car we had with a tube car radio was a 1961 Oldsmobile, which we drove until 1965. We stayed a couple Summer vacations in a cottage on the South side of Crystal Lake. With the telescoping antenna fully extended, you could listen to WJR in the Daytime. I don't think the solid state radios were quite as good. Then around 1970, they went to the windshield antennas, which were a disaster as far as sensitivity. It took few years for the Delco GM engineers (and much later clients of mine) to figure out how to optimize this.
Crystal Lake in Benzie County ? (Michigan has more than one Crystal Lake).

I loved DXing up there. The VHF-Low band was quite clear (though WJMN could mess with me at times), and, at night, the AM band was jam-packed with strong signals from hundreds of stations booming in on their night arrays (giving 5kW night patterns 50kW of ERP), chaos!

We would be on the northeast side of the lake.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic