Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Earth Conductivity vs. Groundwave Field Intensity

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Rich F.

Earth Conductivity vs. Groundwave Field Intensity

Post by Rich F. » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:18 am

The graphic below is pretty much self-explanatory, and shows maybe some surprising results for the relative coverage areas of those two almost identical AM broadcast station facilities, both day and night.

The maps show the 1 mV/m and 0.1 mV/m contours for both stations.

Last edited by Rich F. on Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

djb

Re: Earth Conductivity vs. Groundwave Field Intensity

Post by djb » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:48 am

My aunt who once lived in Atlanta had mentioned to me that she was frequently able to pickup WJR in her car radio when she was up in the northern hills of Atlanta suburbs.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:59 am

Pay attention to the fine print distance scales that state that the WJR map should be about twice the size of the WSB map!

FWIW, WJR's daytime coverage to the North is not as good as the map. It likely assumes that the conductivity is 8mS/m, the "standard" conductivity for broad areas where, in fact, no official conductivity testing had taken place - though WJR still has it much better than WSB.

Rich F.

Post by Rich F. » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:02 am

innate-in-you wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:59 am
Pay attention to the fine print distance scales that state that the WJR map should be about twice the size of the WSB! ...
Yes, which difference in scale was stated in the third "bullet" of the list at the top of the graphic.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:53 pm

WSB has rebranded and now calls itself 95.5 WSB.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rich F.

Post by Rich F. » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:38 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:53 pm
WSB has rebranded and now calls itself 95.5 WSB.
Not only that, it looks like they are now using a frequency 94.75 MHz higher in the spectrum than they had been licensed for. :?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:21 am

They are now on 95.5 FM. also. When you listen to then on the air, the only ID they give is "WSB 95.5." They don't even mention their AM frequency.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:58 am

WSB had dominated the ratings in Atlanta for as long as I can remember. I assume that their 11.5 share includes the FM signal? Would be interesting to see a breakdown of listenership on the AM vs FM signal. The fact that they ID themselves with the FM only (which is 100,000 watts, btw) suggests to me that internal data shows that more people now listen to the FM signal.

That's 150,000 watts combined. Are there any other "translator" combos in the country that crank out that much wattage?

On a side note, I used to frequently listen to WSB at night on my AM radio here in northern Michigan, but haven't listened in years since Neal Boortz retired.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:16 am

Here in south west Ontario they pound in clearly most nights. For many years I lived up in one of yhe northern Lake Huron counties in Ontario. They were pretty strong up there too.

Also they put a strong signal into the Tampa Bay area at night.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:07 pm

At night , if I angle my Tecsun portble radio right, I can hear WSB perfectly, without any splatter from WJR. I 'm located 33 miles north by northwest of WJR. That helps.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:31 pm

k8jd wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:07 pm
At night , if I angle my Tecsun portble radio right, I can hear WSB perfectly, without any splatter from WJR. I 'm located 33 miles north by northwest of WJR. That helps.

That must be a pretty decent radio.

I use this Grundig, directional loop antenna. It really boosts weak signals while nulling out strong locals.

http://london.marknmel.com/albums/Radio ... .sized.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic