Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The End of an Era

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

The End of an Era

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:14 pm

The Universal Radio catalog has no desktop short wave radios now. Only SDRs.

Anyone wanting a regular radio has to look in the potables section.

Of the portables, the best of the lot is the Eton Elite 750.

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog ... /1750.html

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

k8jd

Re: The End of an Era

Post by k8jd » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:33 pm

The GOOD MW- SW rcvrs from Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom are in the $2000+ range but THEY ARE GOOD.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:41 pm

Maybe when the sunspot cycle gets back up, there may be some return of SWBC operations. I can' believe the big operations Like Radio Australia etc have scrapped those giant transmitters, I bet they are preserved with mothballs or something, and can eventually be fired up again.
Now there still are a few stations but not really of general public interest like those old shows on R. DW or R. Nederland, RSA South Africa, Radio Japan, and R. Australia were. I sure miss R Tahiti with the great polynesian music , hard to hear but fun to listen to.
MAYBE it will come back some day.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:16 pm

One problem is that many of the engineers who knew how to maintain those transmitters are either retired or dead.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic