Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Distant stations on local AMs

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
fuzzpower

Distant stations on local AMs

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:08 am

I’m not talking about puny Class D stations allowed to stay on at night with 17 watts, this is for actual locals who are getting interference from distant stations. It happened about a week ago with WNZK on 680. I was in southern Canton, not too far away from the transmitter in relative terms. I clearly heard a weather forecast in the background with temperatures in Celsius and wind speeds in kilometers. My first thought was CFTR Toronto, but it turns out due to the low temperatures, it was CJOB Winnipeg. Granted, I don’t listen to WNZK much at all, so maybe this isn’t as uncommon as it seems.

cckadlec

Re: Distant stations on local AMs

Post by cckadlec » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:57 am

It's not all that uncommon for that to happen. The high-powered skywave stations at night can break through local signals at night. 850 in Muskegon (WGVS-AM) is a local here in Fremont but KOA Denver, which was always the norm before the local appeared, can still be heard 20 miles away from WGVS's tower. Not clearly, but it breaks in here and there.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:08 pm

WGVS has some pretty tight nulls in the pattern, so If you live east or west of the towers you may not have a lot of signal to block KOA.
I hear the signal from Cleveland (5 kW night) and rarely can hear KOA even with the radio's loopstick antenna turned end to try nulling out Cleveland.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:46 pm

Even on my "Walkman" AM/FM radio, I can do a total null out of WNZK at night. I'm probably 25 or so miles from their site, so easy to do as it's not an overwhelming signal. I can usually hear a couple of other signals on 680, not enough clarity to ID them.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:29 am

For whatever reason, CJOB has been reported using their Day pattern regularly at Night.

Can't say if this is the case with CJOB, but it is reported that some Canadian station operators are so angry at IBOC sideband interference from US stations that the Canadian authorities look the other way when they use Day Power or Pattern at Night regularly. In this case, it's probably the Chicago station on 670 that interferes. It had it's IBOC off for a while, but it's back on.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:09 am

I can still hear AM 630 CFCO in Chatham, Ontario (Country station) from my place in Sanford, Michigan (near Midland, MI)!!!

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:57 pm

matt1 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:09 am
I can still hear AM 630 CFCO in Chatham, Ontario (Country station) from my place in Sanford, Michigan (near Midland, MI)!!!
CFCO really gets out. They're on excellent ground, and at a low frequency.

They caught a lucky break when a protected station in the Minneapolis area lost its site and was briefly operating as a Class D.

That gave CFCO the green light to run 6kW at night (with the effective radiated power even greater than that).

When the Minnesota station returned, it was saddled with interference from CFCO.

It bummed me out when they flipped their format from oldies to farm.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:28 pm

This is CFCO. All farm all the time. Today's program is brought to you by Cockshutt, the queen of manure spreaders.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic