Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fires Threaten Mt. Wilson Radio TV Microwave Towers And Observatory

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Ben Zonia

Fires Threaten Mt. Wilson Radio TV Microwave Towers And Observatory

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:49 pm

Strange that KNX is mentioned but their tower is not there.

Wonder how many have auxiliaries. Anyone know where? Hollywood Hills?

https://news.yahoo.com/major-fire-threa ... 2SBak1Lw_s

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

k8jd

Re: Fires Threaten Mt. Wilson Radio TV Microwave Towers And Observatory

Post by k8jd » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:10 pm

Maybe KNX has an FM side and that would be a good place for it. I will have to look that up.
AM transmittrers would not work well on a mountain top for local coverage.
I would worry about deposits on the telescope mirrors from the smoke !!!

Ben Zonia

Re: Fires Threaten Mt. Wilson Radio TV Microwave Towers And Observatory

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:35 pm

KCBS-TV, formerly KNXT, is there. Also KCBS-FM, which was KNX-FM for many years.

Smoke can etch mirrors. They were doing a construction addition at one college, and the Mathematics Deportment Chairman needed space for Summer research. They gave him space in a Science Department Lab which had a lot of sensitive optical instruments. The Professor was a heavy cigar smoker. It was discovered at the beginning of Fall Semester that his cigar smoke had gotten inside of the optical instruments, as well as outside, and done thousands of dollars worth of damage.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic