Acceptable registrations in the queue through November 21 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

EAS malfunctioning Friday morning or just Verizon?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

EAS malfunctioning Friday morning or just Verizon?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:11 am

I live in the section of Oakland County for which a flash flood warning was issued around 6:20a Friday morning, yet I *never* received the emergency alert on my cell phone. Had another flash flood warning earlier this summer, but the western boundary of that one was just 3/4 of a mile from my house, so most of my zip code was not covered by it. However, yesterday's warning covered all of my zip code & community, please every community & zip code adjacent to it.

Very disappointed in our horribly unreliable EAS and with Verizon Wireless!!! >:

Of course, I didn't need a warning to tell me conditions were hazardous. I had water in my basement (as did most of my neighbors) and a big pool of standing water covering 70% of my backyard.

Rock 95.5 in Chicago is the worst sounding major market rock station in the history of corporate radio.

WOHO

Re: EAS malfunctioning Friday morning or just Verizon?

Post by WOHO » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:26 am

Better off with the ancient AM radio PEP daisy-chain EAS alerts, at least half of those would alert you that something is up when your phones don't do sh*t with a massive traffic jam over the towers.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:27 am

WOHO wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:26 am
Better off with the ancient AM radio PEP daisy-chain EAS alerts, at least half of those would alert you that something is up when your phones don't do sh*t with a massive traffic jam over the towers.
Very true. But most of the younger than 30 year olds don’t even own a radio let alone one with AM on it. There are some Bluetooth speakers that have FM capability but none with AM.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:41 am

I also have Verizon, but I've disabled all the alert functions (except Presidential ones) because of previous abuses, so I couldn't tell you if it's working or not

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:21 pm

On my phone, I've disabled AMBER alerts and have both "Extreme alerts" and "Severe alerts" turned on.

Rock 95.5 in Chicago is the worst sounding major market rock station in the history of corporate radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic