Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

EAS malfunctioning Friday morning or just Verizon?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

EAS malfunctioning Friday morning or just Verizon?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:11 am

I live in the section of Oakland County for which a flash flood warning was issued around 6:20a Friday morning, yet I *never* received the emergency alert on my cell phone. Had another flash flood warning earlier this summer, but the western boundary of that one was just 3/4 of a mile from my house, so most of my zip code was not covered by it. However, yesterday's warning covered all of my zip code & community, please every community & zip code adjacent to it.

Very disappointed in our horribly unreliable EAS and with Verizon Wireless!!! >:

Of course, I didn't need a warning to tell me conditions were hazardous. I had water in my basement (as did most of my neighbors) and a big pool of standing water covering 70% of my backyard.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

WOHO

Re: EAS malfunctioning Friday morning or just Verizon?

Post by WOHO » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:26 am

Better off with the ancient AM radio PEP daisy-chain EAS alerts, at least half of those would alert you that something is up when your phones don't do sh*t with a massive traffic jam over the towers.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:27 am

WOHO wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:26 am
Better off with the ancient AM radio PEP daisy-chain EAS alerts, at least half of those would alert you that something is up when your phones don't do sh*t with a massive traffic jam over the towers.
Very true. But most of the younger than 30 year olds don’t even own a radio let alone one with AM on it. There are some Bluetooth speakers that have FM capability but none with AM.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:41 am

I also have Verizon, but I've disabled all the alert functions (except Presidential ones) because of previous abuses, so I couldn't tell you if it's working or not

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:21 pm

On my phone, I've disabled AMBER alerts and have both "Extreme alerts" and "Severe alerts" turned on.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic