Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Climbing Of Island View Hill

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
CK-722

The Climbing Of Island View Hill

Post by CK-722 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:53 pm

Last week, I decided to take a ride along the M-119 Tunnel Of Trees. I had always wanted to see where the short lived WMBN-FM 96.3 site (mid-1980s) was, and if there was any evidence of there ever being a tower there. There had been a 683 foot tower there for a couple of years, which was reportedly repurposed for the WKCQ 98.1 upgrade to circa 500 feet HAAT, and another piece for the STL antennas at the WMBN/WWPZ 1340 WMBN-FM Studios South of Petoskey.

I made the mistake of turning on Wormwood Rd. from M-119, which though it was marked Seasonal Road-Not Plowed by Emmet County, seemed drivable for a few blocks. That's where I made another mistake. I continued to drive. As it went further, it went uphill and turned to sand and a few rocks. I thought it would get better, but it just turned worse. I was afraid to stop or turn back around or I would get stuck on the one lane road. It was a good thing the car had back up cameras and sensors, or I never would have made it out. I haven't gotten stuck at a radio related site in nearly 40 years, and that was the mud across from the WKNX, now WJMK, towers on Gabel Rd. near Bridgeport, trying to turn around. So, many people have climbed Mt. Everest. But I couldn't even get up Island View Hill. I can see that accessibility was one big problem for that site, and part of the reason for moving besides the opening up of Class C1, which at least allowed slightly better accessibility. If I get really brave, I'll try from the East side of the site, which has somewhat better roads according to maps.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic