Acceptable registrations in the queue through October 17 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

AM reception question

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Deleted User 24

AM reception question

Post by Deleted User 24 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:02 pm

I have a GE Superadio in my kitchen that I use mainly to listen to WWJ. The signal almost always has a buzz or static. In particular, there's a fluorescent light in the kitchen that puts out so much interference that it renders the radio unlistenable on the AM band, even if I have the radio out on the patio or porch. All this makes sense to me, but here's where it gets weird.

There are lights in the hallway that leads to the kitchen. When those lights are on, the static is reduced to almost nothing. How is it that these lights reduce the problem? BTW, the radio is running on batteries, not AC power.



CK-722
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Re: AM reception question

Post by CK-722 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:13 pm

I have had similar things happen to me, like when trying to null out a signal, then somebody flips on a light switch, and it's no longer nulled. My theory is that the electrical noisemaker is like a carrier current station, and the wires in the house act like an antenna. When you flip on the light switch, it causes the signal to use the additional wiring as an additional antenna, and that loads the signal to a standing wave maximum further away from your radio. Probably those lights in the hallway are on the same circuit breaker.


Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

User avatar
SolarMax
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:59 pm
Location: 313

Re: AM reception question

Post by SolarMax » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:44 pm

Especially with older house wiring, activating a circuit or device (like the hallway lights) may possibly be temporarily altering marginally flaky common (neutrals) or grounding paths.
Last edited by SolarMax on Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.



CK-722
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Re: AM reception question

Post by CK-722 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:30 pm

I had a similar thing happen in a house that was just six years old. I was using the TV twin lead twisted together as a short vertical, and fed into a one transistor preamp inductively coupled to a Panasonic portable. When you turned the light on, the preamp began to oscillate from the increased coupling of the output and input.


Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 4276
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: AM reception question

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:42 pm

I've experienced something similar. When my fridge first switches on. noise interference on the AM goes away just for an instant while the fridge is starting up.



Deleted User 15342

Re: AM reception question

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:36 am

Time to sunset AM radio. It’s becoming more useless as more electronic devices are being used. The FCC should consider a mandate to shut all AM stations off by 2035. Create a new FM band for AM stations to move onto that band.



User avatar
SolarMax
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:59 pm
Location: 313

Re: AM reception question

Post by SolarMax » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:37 pm

Lucky615 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:36 am
Time to sunset AM radio. It’s becoming more useless as more electronic devices are being used. The FCC should consider a mandate to shut all AM stations off by 2035. Create a new FM band for AM stations to move onto that band.
A sentiment expressed by some, but provides no assistance to the OP, seeking help to listen to AM in the clear, today. What part of the spectrum (that's not for sale or already allocated) do you propose to place this new FM band? And don't forget that in some places, FM itself is being, or has been, sunset in favor of Digital. By your 2035 deadline, who knows even if broadcast radio in any form will still be a thing.



CK-722
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Re: AM reception question

Post by CK-722 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:57 pm

Just an additional 2 MHz could handle all the Class IVs/Cs and many <=1 kW Class Bs and Ds above 900 kHz, could be replaced with 1 kW/100 meter HAAT STATIONS protected to the 63 dBu primary service contour, with specific second adjacent channel exceptions, with no substantial loss of usable service compared to the AM. In most cases, the specified facility would have a usable service area exceeding the usable Night service area of the AM.

Obviously, the more expanded band space the more options.

Receiver availability for an expanded band is one big problem cited.

I keep hearing that many VHF frequencies are going to be abandoned for 800 MHz trunked systems, but then again I've heard that for many years, and searching with a scanner will quickly verify this continued use in many areas.


Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 4276
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: AM reception question

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:32 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:37 pm
Lucky615 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:36 am
Time to sunset AM radio. It’s becoming more useless as more electronic devices are being used. The FCC should consider a mandate to shut all AM stations off by 2035. Create a new FM band for AM stations to move onto that band.
A sentiment expressed by some, but provides no assistance to the OP, seeking help to listen to AM in the clear, today. What part of the spectrum (that's not for sale or already allocated) do you propose to place this new FM band? And don't forget that in some places, FM itself is being, or has been, sunset in favor of Digital. By your 2035 deadline, who knows even if broadcast radio in any form will still be a thing.
Your reply is to a guy who believes the Internet is broadcast radio.



Deleted User 15342

Re: AM reception question

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:56 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:32 pm
SolarMax wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:37 pm
Lucky615 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:36 am
Time to sunset AM radio. It’s becoming more useless as more electronic devices are being used. The FCC should consider a mandate to shut all AM stations off by 2035. Create a new FM band for AM stations to move onto that band.
A sentiment expressed by some, but provides no assistance to the OP, seeking help to listen to AM in the clear, today. What part of the spectrum (that's not for sale or already allocated) do you propose to place this new FM band? And don't forget that in some places, FM itself is being, or has been, sunset in favor of Digital. By your 2035 deadline, who knows even if broadcast radio in any form will still be a thing.
Your reply is to a guy who believes the Internet is broadcast radio.
Internet is the future of radio and the future is here. If radio remains with 20th century technology it will die soon. The broadcasting business is moving into internet technology, it has to to in order to survive. Turkeytop do you still have a horse and buggy? Of course not, you have a vehicle with SXM even you went above the normal way to listen to radio. 5G technology will revolutionize the broadcasting business for both radio and television.



User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 4276
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: AM reception question

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:07 am

I have SXM in my car, not because it's superior technology (it isn't), but because I live in a small town market with very little choice of what to listen to. When I'm in Toronto, Montreal or Pittsburgh. I listen to real radio. When we are wintering in the Tampa Bay area, I go almost four months without ever listening to SXM.

Along the trip down there and back, about all that is available on real radio is religion, cowboy music and NASCAR



Deleted User 15342

Re: AM reception question

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:38 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:07 am
I have SXM in my car, not because it's superior technology (it isn't), but because I live in a small town market with very little choice of what to listen to. When I'm in Toronto, Montreal or Pittsburgh. I listen to real radio. When we are wintering in the Tampa Bay area, I go almost four months without ever listening to SXM.

Along the trip down there and back, about all that is available on real radio is religion, cowboy music and NASCAR
That’s all the more reason you need to get a smartphone. The internet radio selection is unlimited and they work perfectly in a vehicle. I do a ton of traveling and always tuned in to various internet stations with zero problems. Internet radio is where it’s at and will be getting even better. Regular radio is old and boring it’s already 100 years old and most of the younger generations don’t even give it the time of day, most of the 35 and younger crowd don’t own a radio. The way I see it AM radio is finished and FM radio could survive possibly 30 more years and that’s even a stretch. When 5G is completely installed in the next 10 or so years, radio and television will change to this technology full scale, will radio survive? yes it will but it’s has to change to the new technology and it is already IHeart, Radio.com, Tunein, Pandora, Spotify and hundreds of other internet stations will reap the benefits of 5G. Turkeytop take the leap and get a smartphone and enjoy the music my friend it’s unbelievable as to what is out there. Phone plans cost less than a set of batteries for your old fashioned radios.



Deleted User 15342

Re: AM reception question

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:46 am

Vic Doucette wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:02 pm
I have a GE Superadio in my kitchen that I use mainly to listen to WWJ. The signal almost always has a buzz or static. In particular, there's a fluorescent light in the kitchen that puts out so much interference that it renders the radio unlistenable on the AM band, even if I have the radio out on the patio or porch. All this makes sense to me, but here's where it gets weird.

There are lights in the hallway that leads to the kitchen. When those lights are on, the static is reduced to almost nothing. How is it that these lights reduce the problem? BTW, the radio is running on batteries, not AC power.
Shut down the main power to the house and also the neighbors power on both sides of your house. At that point you should get WWJ in better with less electrical interference and always make sure you have an extra set of batteries. Need a good buzz? Listen to AM radio.



User avatar
Big Signal
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:46 pm
Location: Southeast Michigan

Re: AM reception question

Post by Big Signal » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:43 am

When I'm down in Florida during the winter and I want to keep up on local news here, I listen to WWJ on my smart phone blue toothed into my car. No buzz there LOL :D


It's all about the money!

Deleted User 15342

Re: AM reception question

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:51 am

Big Signal wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:43 am
When I'm down in Florida during the winter and I want to keep up on local news here, I listen to WWJ on my smart phone blue toothed into my car. No buzz there LOL :D
You got it. Internet radio and television is here and it will be the main source of entertainment through our cellphones. Just turn on the Bluetooth to your speakers or television and there it is.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic