Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Wifi Slow Down Due To Increased Home Use

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Ben Zonia

Wifi Slow Down Due To Increased Home Use

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:05 pm

There has been a noticeable reduction in internet speeds due to stay home orders, and particularly children home from school.

In order to use less bandwidth:

Stay off of smart phones as much as possible.

Use your radio instead of streaming. Use off air TV instead of cable and streaming.

Play records, CDs, DVDs, cassettes, even VHS tapes instead of streaming videos.

If you catch your bored kids at home using too much bandwidth, tell them that when this is over, they're grounded for life.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Turkeytop

Re: Wifi Slow Down Due To Increased Home Use

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:23 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:05 pm
There has been a noticeable reduction in internet speeds due to stay home orders, and particularly children home from school.

In order to use less bandwidth:

Stay off of smart phones as much as possible.

Use your radio instead of streaming. Use off air TV instead of cable and streaming.

Play records, CDs, DVDs, cassettes, even VHS tapes instead of streaming videos.

If you catch your bored kids at home using too much bandwidth, tell them that when this is over, they're grounded for life.
I already live by those rules. Always have.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:38 am

You can't blame it all on the kids. There are many people working at home (me for one) and doing a VPN along with a RDP to the work PC is consuming a lot of bandwidth. My home network traffic lights are on solid rather than the usual blinking.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:18 am

If it was really important, wireless carriers would be giving bonuses for folks using less bandwidth.

If I only use 10% of my normal data usage, I still get charged the full amount and the same as someone else who's still using every bit they can to stream a 1080i movie to their 6" screen!!

djb

Post by djb » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:19 am

RDP session are typically about 24kbytes per second. Unless you're transferring a file between local and RDP session, it's likely NOT VPN and RDP causing your slowdown. PPS (packets per second) on RDP are higher than a streaming service - so overall performance of a WiFi access point (CPU, RAM) could cause such behavior.

From my bandwidth graphs, I see the kids' streaming youtube (which has an increase in 4k content), Netflix, Disney+ as being the high contenders.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic