Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

y'think this might be true? (AM DX)

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
TomSanders

y'think this might be true? (AM DX)

Post by TomSanders » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:28 am

A couple sources -- middle-level people inside the New York and New Jersey governors' offices -- have recommended that AM DXers in the Northeast and Midwest, and eastern Canada, not listen to radio stations whose transmitters are located in New York or New Jersey because the radio waves they send out could be infected with the COVID-19 virus. Both states must co-operate since some stations, notably WOR and WINS, serve New York City but have xmtr sites in New Jersey. (This posted, contrary to the timestamp, at 1230 AM on April 1).
Last edited by TomSanders on Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Turkeytop

Re: y'think this might be true? (AM DX)

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:39 am

I don't believe it. But just to be safe, I'll stop listening to WCBS and WFMI.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:08 am

LOL

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:10 pm

This may show up on CNN and MSNBC reports but probably not on Fox News. :D

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:30 pm

I've often wondered if the reason why all these interfering stations on AM (including IBOC sidebands), FM (including IBOC sidebands), and TV (UHF and digital cliff limitations) are to limit service areas to a very short distance, to prevent people from knowing about chaotic events happening in neighboring markets and in other parts of the country, and to allow networks to spin them according to their own agenda. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TomSanders

Post by TomSanders » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:34 am

More likely is frequency squatting of outfits like K-LOVE and Smile FM meant to fill up the dial and prevent someone from putting a legal LPFM on the air -- on, say, 103.9 in Utica -- and broadcasting wrongspeak, or Alex Jones such as he is. How many Smile FM stations duplicating each other does the public need? BTW The Voice Of Death And Misery (WCBS AM 880) has always been very listenable as early as 4 PM in the winter on even my non-DX radios. I still listen even though I could catch the flu from those NYC radio waves :)

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:54 am

The reason K-Love, Smile, and others have so many transmitters and translators is they are generally very low power compared to stations in major cities like Detroit. Now that K-Love has full market signals in New York City, Chicago, and Detroit, they should sell their translators and low power stations to other companies instead of empire building a second network. KDTI is just 37 watts, for instance. Yes, KDTI.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

n8fnr

Post by n8fnr » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:09 pm

You do know that this is insane right?

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:50 pm

I get irritated hearing the same exact program material on multiple spots on the AM and FM dial !
I guess it's a monopoly situation, where the competition is squeezed out and some day we will just hear a single program on the entire spectrum !
The K-Smile program on FM and the conspiracy/UFO guy on AM ! :barf

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:03 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:30 pm
I've often wondered if the reason why all these interfering stations on AM (including IBOC sidebands), FM (including IBOC sidebands), and TV (UHF and digital cliff limitations) are to limit service areas to a very short distance, to prevent people from knowing about chaotic events happening in neighboring markets and in other parts of the country, and to allow networks to spin them according to their own agenda. Nothing would surprise me anymore.
DTV can still carry for a considerable distance. If you're not getting a DTV signal that you expect to be able to see, there is a very good chance your problem is a signal corrupted by multipath (reflections off and within structures) instead of a weak signal.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:26 pm

I wonder if the NY mayor and Governor are trying to figure out how to tax out-of-state listenres to NY radio signals !

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:27 pm

k8jd wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:50 pm
I get irritated hearing the same exact program material on multiple spots on the AM and FM dial !
I guess it's a monopoly situation, where the competition is squeezed out and some day we will just hear a single program on the entire spectrum !
The K-Smile program on FM and the conspiracy/UFO guy on AM ! :barf
How about ESPN sports networks , I think there are more than one.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:18 pm

TomSanders wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:28 am
A couple sources -- middle-level people inside the New York and New Jersey governors' offices -- have recommended that AM DXers in the Northeast and Midwest, and eastern Canada, not listen to radio stations whose transmitters are located in New York or New Jersey because the radio waves they send out could be infected with the COVID-19 virus. Both states must co-operate since some stations, notably WOR and WINS, serve New York City but have xmtr sites in New Jersey. (This posted, contrary to the timestamp, at 1230 AM on April 1).
Don't worry. In Phase 11 of the repack, COVID-19 is going to be repacked to COVID-2. Only people over 8 feet tall will be affected😁

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic