Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

"...mysterious voices, music come from house's walls..."

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
SolarMax

"...mysterious voices, music come from house's walls..."

Post by SolarMax » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:04 am

CK-722

Re: "...mysterious voices, music come from house's walls..."

Post by CK-722 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:25 am

WYLL 1160. It used to be WJJD Mooseheart.

The voices only come out at Night because in the Daytime, they broadcast from Des Plaines. From Lockport, it's 6 towers with the pattern going North.

Insulation and or house wrap siding with a foil covering could also do it, and not strictly rectification like with a vacuum tube or semiconductor junction. If you have two metal layers separated by an insulator, like two pie tins with wax paper in between, the electrical field varies with the modulation, and the field mechanical force vibrates the pie tins.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:19 am

I remember many years ago when I was just a child, we could sometimes faintly hear 1480 WIOS on our landline telephone. Their tower is quite close by.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:59 pm

I remember riding through Tawas City in the 1960s and 1970s on the way to Oscoda, Greenbush, and Harrisville. The signal got strong near that tower along US 23, and I thought maybe it was the WIOS tower. Later I found out they were directional, and that the tower on US 23 was just the State Police tower.

Did the Carrolls already vacation in the Tawas Area before they sold WKMF 1470 Flint and bought WIOS 1480? Did John Carroll Sr. manage 1310 Dearborn when it was already WKNR Keener 13 or just before when it was WKMH? They sent him up to manage WKMF, and then he bought it from the Knorrs.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Rich F.

Post by Rich F. » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:38 am

Probably this house was not located near the city center of Lockport, IL, which would put it ~3.5 miles from the WYLL nighttime array on its bearing of about 285°. WYLL radiates less than 100 watts toward that sector.

WYLL has a nighttime field intensity of about 16 mV/m in the Lockport ZIP, where WLS has the greatest day/night field there: 123 mV/m.

The graphic below shows a more likely situation for this "phenomenon" by comparing the fields in housing subdivisions less than 2 miles from WYLL along their bearing toward Lockport (in a null of their DA pattern) vs. toward the North, in their major lobe.

The subdivision indicated by the yellow line from WYLL in the graphic receives a nighttime field of about 2 V/m from WYLL, which is >16X greater than the field there of WLS, and rather likely to produce blanketing interference.

WYLL's field at a distance of 1.12 miles on a bearing toward Lockport city center is shown by the orange line from WYLL and orange text on the graphic. At that location, the field from WYLL is only about 1.2X greater than from WLS.

The difference between those two close-in fields from WYLL is about 22.5 dB.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic