Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NBC IN ALPENA AREA

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
ramboy

NBC IN ALPENA AREA

Post by ramboy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:59 am

does anyone know if NBC OTR is available near Alpena around the Curran area about 30 miles South East of Alpena I have a cottage there

innate-in-you

Re: NBC IN ALPENA AREA

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:56 pm

30 miles SE of Alpena?
Your favorite fishing spot?

Best chance for NBC would be WTOM near Cheboygan.
The same transmitter carries WGTU as well.

If the trees around your site are pine trees (as opposed to broadleaf) you may be in trouble. The antenna mast would have to higher than the trees.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:29 pm

Sadly, Alpena and the Lake Huron shoreline of NE Michigan are so far out from the nearest NBC affiliate towers, that your best bet might just be a satellite dish if you can't get anything in from Cadillac or Sault Sainte Marie...

On closer inspection of RabbitEars.info and the FCC databases.... you *might* have some luck with WTOM on UHF 16 in Cheboygan and WGTU on UHF 29 in Traverse City, and a less-likely shot might be WPBN on UHF 35.... but you might need a 40-foot tower, but this is a big gamble with no guarantee of payoff for the expense.

If WBKB 11 in Alpena were to squeeze in another subchannel, that might make things worthwhile, but I don't see that (or NBC asking for a translator in the area) happening any time soon...

Still, you could get lucky and be in a sweet spot where a far-off signal comes in! Try tuning in and let us know the results of your reception!

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

windsor

Post by windsor » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:42 pm

if your thinking about an antenna, get a DB8e its got great gain in a rural setting going through tree's and the like.Get it high as you can and add a LNA 200 amp.

Also great for tropo in summer.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:48 am

I remember staying at a motel around Oscoda back in the late 1960s or early 1970s. WNEM-TV 5 was the only station that stayed on all Night. Someone in the Office had the TV on really loud and you could hear it well into the Night. They showed Movies in the early morning hours. I remember hearing the ad for Ajax cleaner and the sound that went along with "it cleans like a white tornado".

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:25 am

windsor wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:42 pm
if your thinking about an antenna, get a DB8e its got great gain in a rural setting going through tree's and the like.Get it high as you can and add a LNA 200 amp.

Also great for tropo in summer.
Remember that that antenna is designed for UHF. WGTQ 8, WWTV 9, WWUP 10, and WBKB 11 are all VHF.

https://longrangesignal.com/antennas-di ... na-review/

As far as VHF goes, are you serious? Why not have a high gain VHF antenna? You need it most likely.

https://aax-us-east.amazon-adsystem.com ... uage=en_US

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:29 pm

You may want to check with local roofers, often they remove and dispose when re-shingling.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:06 am

I've had to bird dog roofers and siding installers to keep them from damaging or throwing out antennas.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic