Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Most FM Class Changes For A Single Facility

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Ben Zonia

Most FM Class Changes For A Single Facility

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:11 pm

I believe WCXT...WHTS holds the record for most Class changes, for changing from Class C, to Class C1, to Class C2, to Class B.

It went from Class C to Class C1 after not building out a CP for a tower over 300 meters high to preserve its Class C status.

Then it went from Class C1 to Class C2 with a power decrease, in order to drop Channel 287A into Mukwanago, WI.

Then it went from Class C2 to Class B to move to Coopersville.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

ftballfan

Re: Most FM Class Changes For A Single Facility

Post by ftballfan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:37 am

WFCX (soon to be WCM_) went from Class A to Class C3 to Class C2. However, I'm not sure if they ever operated as a Class A.

WPOZ in Orlando, FL has gone from Class C2 to Class C1 to Class C (100kW @ 450+ m). They had a CP to become Class C0 at one point, but cancelled it in favor of moving up to a full Class C.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:29 am

Because FAA regulations don't allow towers close to 1500+ feet tall anywhere near here, no really high buildings in Zone II around here, and there are no really high mountains to build up HAAT (though a few are above 1500 feet, like WWTV, but the tower rent for an FM probably wouldn't be feasible), there are very few full Class C FMs anymore around here. And the rules for second and third adjacent spacing are pretty inflexible with downgrades to C0 or C1, not allowing much relief.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:20 am

CK-722 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:29 am
Because FAA regulations don't allow towers close to 1500+ feet tall anywhere near here, no really high buildings in Zone II around here, and there are no really high mountains to build up HAAT (though a few are above 1500 feet, like WWTV, but the tower rent for an FM probably wouldn't be feasible), there are very few full Class C FMs anymore around here. And the rules for second and third adjacent spacing are pretty inflexible with downgrades to C0 or C1, not allowing much relief.
The only full C I can think of anywhere near Michigan is 104.5 WAXX in Eau Claire, WI. They're 100kW @ 549m from WEAU-TV's tower. I think they cover more area than even B93!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic