Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Anybody Have Any Experience With Fixing d'Arsonval Signal/Battery Strength Meters/Circuits?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
CK-722

Anybody Have Any Experience With Fixing d'Arsonval Signal/Battery Strength Meters/Circuits?

Post by CK-722 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:49 am

Got a used Sony Portable on eBay. It works well considering it is nearly 50 years old. I had a similar Sony Portable with a similar issue-the Battery/Signal Strength meter had problems. The first one was pinning erratically. This one started out at zero and gradually increased to about 70 percent scale deflection. Sometimes, when I would cross a strong signal, it seemed to wiggle a little. I'm going to get the repair manual. It behaves like it's reading the voltage across a charging capacitor, not the signal or battery level. I took the batteries out to see if it will discharge and the meter goes back down. Any thoughts or ideas? I don't think its the meter movement or coil, or it wouldn't show that assumed charging effect. A broken spring would probably show variation on tilting on its side in both directions with gravity.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

CK-722

Re: Anybody Have Any Experience With Fixing d'Arsonval Signal/Battery Strength Meters/Circuits?

Post by CK-722 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:22 pm

When I checked today, the meter still showed the same deflection, with no batteries, making me wonder if the meter movement is involved.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

SolarMax

Re: Anybody Have Any Experience With Fixing d'Arsonval Signal/Battery Strength Meters/Circuits?

Post by SolarMax » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:04 am

I used to sometimes encounter erratic meter performance due to static charges on the meter face, that were difficult to discharge. Behaved Like a large flat glass or plastic capacitor. Sometimes touching a grounded clip lead end to the face would drop the needle back to zero. I recall seeing a few meter enclosures that had some sort of metal or foil internally attached to the face material to drain off such charges.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:27 pm

Indeed, what SolarMax said. Plastic meter faces are notorious for that. I have a Simpson 260 with the plastic lense bezel which says right in it do not wipe this lense... I always took a small chunk of foil and grounded it with a test jumper and them lightly pressed it flat to the lense. Most of the time it would work, sometimes I would have to rub a drop of spit on it and try again.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:02 pm

For the heck of it, pull the batteries, connect a clip lead to short the battery power, turn unit on and off, and then remove clip lead, install batteries and give it a go.
Ed Joseph is correct about trying to ground some genuine metallic/tin foil behind the movement; I'm not sure about the saliva part though :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic