Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Scanners

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
WOHO

Re: Scanners

Post by WOHO » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:27 am

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that helicopter antenna was made from the finest Bounty papertowel rolls and toilet paper tubes and spray-painted?
And yes, Turkeytop, once this plague goes away later this year, I think a Middle Ages celebration would be appropriate!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:05 pm

Anyone ever see or use one of the SBE Optiscan units?

I have one collecting dust somewhere downstairs. Early programmable unit. You would fill in a clear plastic card that looks like an old computer punch card and slide it in the slot to program the frequency for each channel that it scanned.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:00 am

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:00 pm

Listening the other day to EMS workers. They were picking up a 34 year old woman with a high fever and difficulty breathing. She had not been vaccinated and was refusing to be tested for covid.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:55 pm

GettingJammed Up with Scanners
Every time I updated my scanners to the latest schemes the industry skips ahead . I got a trunk tracking scanner and then the jump to digital came along.
Now there are several different modes of digital so I will just listen to the aircraft, occasional Marine traffic and a few small business crews on the road on GMRS. Every year for a few weeks after Xmas, there are kids yelling into thier new FRS hand held radios.
Even the 2 and 3/4 Meter ham band repeaters are not regular FM any more, a variety of digi buzzing is what I hear now,...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:18 pm

Mine is just a cheap, analog device. I settle for whatever is available on it. I'm not exactly a big scanner enthusiast. It was just one aspect of the radio hobby I had never tried so I decided to get into it a little.

I do appreciate the emergency weather alerts. I credit that with possibly saving our life once, when a tornado was bearing down on us. We got to safety just in time.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:27 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:18 pm
Mine is just a cheap, analog device. I settle for whatever is available on it. I'm not exactly a big scanner enthusiast. It was just one aspect of the radio hobby I had never tried so I decided to get into it a little.
Are you familiar with the radioreference site?
Here's the freqs they show for Middlesex. Seems there's may be quite a bit of "action" that you could hear.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=4306

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:35 pm

It's a very expensive way to do it, but THE best weather radio EVER is the Uniden Home Patrol (1) scanner. When set to wx alert, you can have preset groups of counties for it to warn, and the display shows the warning and times, BUT, the biggest, sweetest toy by far, is that you tap the touchscreen and it REPLAYS the audio recording of the initial warning from the 1050 Hz tone until the EOM duck fart. It is da bomb. But you're spending $200 for a damn sweet weather radio. IF SiriusXM really wanted to expand their aftermarket 'plug and play' radio market, having one that had these weather radio features would have them flying off the shelves if it could monitor your local NWR station in addition to SXM programming AND have the audio playback. Of course SXM would probably disable this feature if you are unsubscribed :(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic