Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fillings

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
sfpcc

Fillings

Post by sfpcc » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:43 pm

I'm probably risking a lot of flak for posting this but what the heck. There was an episode of Gilligan's Island where Gilligan received radio signals. through the filling of his teeth. Has anyone out there heard about this actually happening or is just bunk and balderdash? (I think this also happened on The Partridge Family with Laurie.)

Deleted User 3751

Re: Fillings

Post by Deleted User 3751 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:47 am

I haven't heard that one but, I knew someone who could hear a station in their toaster. They lived a quarter mile from the transmitter.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:13 pm

I've never experienced it myself but I believe radio reception on teeth fillings is something real. There were reports of it long before before that TV show.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:53 am

The metallic amalgam in old style fillings could act as a rectifier diode (like that in an old crystal set, detecting amplitude modulated (AM) signals. You would have to be nearby a strong RF field for that to happen. Same for any metal-to-metal junction. Besides kitchen appliances, there used to be reports of signals heard on metal rain gutters and plumbing.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:50 pm

I heard that WJBK-AM literally had crapper reception.

Yes, on the commode.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:47 pm

You can make an AM radio detector with two aluminum pie tins separated by wax paper. It's essentially a capacitor. There is a mechanical force on the plates proportional to the electric field. As an AM signal changes in amplitude, it vibrates the pie tins at the audio frequency.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:50 pm

You can make an AM radio detector with two aluminum pie plates separated by wax paper. It's essentially a capacitor. There is a mechanical force on the plates proportional to the electric field. As an AM signal changes in amplitude, it vibrates the pie tins at the audio frequency. Again you have to be very nearby the transmitter. You can extend the range with antenna wires attached to the pie plates. You might be able to sort out a couple of diplexed signals with some LC filters on the antenna wires.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic